Considering how much I love seven layer dip, I was pretty sure this Seven Layer Tortilla Pie would be amazing! And I was not disappointed.
The original version of this tortilla pie didn’t include meat. I added some ground beef for my husband, who besides being a carnivore, isn’t a big fan of beans.
I prefer the meatless version myself–although it would also be fabulous with shredded chicken. This loaded savory pie is surprisingly filling, with or without meat. So unless you’re feeding 6-8 hungry people, you can plan on leftovers.
This is great topped with salsa, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and sliced green onion.Print
Seven Layer Tortilla Pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 can re-fried beans
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can Rotelle tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef until done; add taco seasoning and cook according to package directions.
- Stir in re-fried beans, red onions and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, mix together Rotelle, cilantro, and black beans.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place 1 tortilla in a greased pie plate or tart dish.
- Spread 3/4 cup meat and bean mixture over tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with 1/4 cup cheese, and cover with another tortilla.
- Spread with 2/3 cup black bean mixture, and top with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering twice.
- Cover with remaining tortilla, and spread with remaining meat and bean mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Serving Size: 6
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com