This is a yummy, gooey chocolatey cake with a hint of cola flavor. I really like it warm from the oven. I’m told not to use diet cola or regular sized marshmallows (miniature only!) or the cake won’t turn out. I don’t add nuts to the frosting because some people around here don’t like them, but I think toasted almonds would be really delicious. If you don’t have any buttermilk, just add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to your milk and let it sit for a few minutes.
Cake2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 box (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/4 cups Coca-Cola (not diet)
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
Frosting1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup Coca-Cola
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound (4 cups)powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda and pudding; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter, Coca-Cola and miniature marshmallows to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Pour hot butter/cola mixture over flour mixture and mix well.
- Add in buttermilk/egg mixture, stirring quickly until batter is well combined.
- Pour batter into a greased, 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make frosting by melting 1/2 cup butter with 1/3 cup Coca-Cola in a medium saucepan. Stir in cream and vanilla.
- Stir together powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons cocoa in a medium bowl.
- Pour butter mixture over powdered sugar and stir to combine. Spread over cooled cake.
- Top with chopped nuts, if desired.
- Serving Size: 16
Who Dished It Up First: I got this recipe from my friend Amy, who is a fabulous cook. Her son requests this cake for his birthday every year. I did add one extra tablespoon of cocoa to the cake batter. I figured a little extra chocolate never hurts!