HAM FRIED RICE — Fried rice tossed with soy sauce, scrambled eggs, diced ham and veggies. Even better than take-out!
I don’t know what they put in Chinese take out that makes it taste so good, but rarely am I able to replicate the flavors in my own kitchen. This Ham Fried Rice comes pretty close.
This is the only recipe I use when I’m craving take-out style fried rice. It’s loaded with flavor and is easily adaptable to include whatever meat or veggies you’d like.
I made this for lunch today and it’s some of the best fried rice I’ve ever had. So yummy! Thanks for the great recipe!! ~ Lisa
And it’s a seriously awesome way to use up leftovers. I always seem to have leftover rice and leftover ham. Just add a few scrambled eggs and some veggies and you’re good to go.
It’s also great with leftover pulled pork, chicken, or beef. Bean sprouts, shredded carrots, and mushrooms are also great additions. But honestly, the sky is the limit in terms of adding vegetables. And of course, a vegetarian version is also delicious.
To say my family loves this would be a big understatement. In fact, we’d all happily eat is as a main dish, although I most often serve it as a side.
It can be little on the spicy side, so omit some of the red pepper flakes if you prefer a milder version. And I should probably mention that this makes a ton.
But just like when you order Chinese take-out, you’re going to want some leftovers. As a side this will easily feed my family of five for two days, so you might want consider making half the recipe if you’re not feeding a crowd.
My family will all vouch for this fried rice being better than anything we’ve ever had at a Chinese restaurant. Why order out when you can make fried rice this delicious at home?
Be sure to save this Ham Fried Rice recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Ham Fried Rice
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- Produce: garlic, bell peppers, onions, green onions
- Red chili flakes
- Frozen peas
- Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1/2 large red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3-4 green onions, sliced
- Heat a small, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Add eggs to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Remove scrambled eggs from skillet; chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable and sesame oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add chili flakes and garlic and sautee for 2 minutes. Add ham, and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
- Add bell pepper and onion; stir-fry another 5 minutes. Stir in peas, rice and soy sauce.
- Cook and additional 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in reserved egg, and sprinkle with green onions.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from myrecipes.com. Originally published in Southern Living magazine.