CREAMY TOMATO SAUSAGE AND TORTELLINI SOUP — This creamy tomato soup is loaded with spicy sausage and tortellini pasta, and only takes about 20 minutes to prepare!
The other day, I was reading my friend Christy’s recipe blog, where she mentioned that she hadn’t really cared for most of the tortellini soup recipes she had tried. I felt the same way. And then I discovered this Creamy Tomato, Sausage and Tortellini Soup!
Most tortellini soups are broth based, and the tortellini tends to get too mushy by the time the soup is served.
This was a fabulous dinner. I made a large batch with 2 quarts of chicken stock and a large bag of beef tortellini, leaving the other ingredients as listed, and adding a wee bit of fresh spinach for color. We love this recipe and will make it again. Thanks! ~ Ann
I was just about to try Christy’s recipe for creamy tortellini soup (and I still plan to) when I came across this recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup.
That’s when I had the brilliant (in my opinion) idea to combine the two recipes into one easy and delicious soup.
I didn’t add any vegetables like Christy did, but you could easily do that, especially if you are trying to sneak some veggies past unsuspecting children.
I had this soup on the table in about 20 minutes, and I didn’t even have to worry about leftovers. There weren’t any!
This soup now makes a regular appearance at our dinner table. With some breadsticks or rolls, it’s a hearty, comforting meal that my whole family loves, and one I’ll be serving for years to come.
Be sure to save this Creamy Tomato Sausage and Tortellini Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Tomato Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- Olive oil
- Italian sausage
- Pasta sauce
- Beef or vegetable broth
- Half and Half or cream
- Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 3 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half and half or cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Remove sausage from casings and crumble into pan. Cook and stir, breaking up sausage as you go.
- When sausage is browned, stir in pasta sauce, broth and half and half or cream.
- Bring to a boil and add tortellini. Continue boiling gently until tortellini is done, 8-10 minutes. Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Inspired by Christy at Yummy Deliciousness and Jenny at Picky Palate.