SWEET AND SPICY CRANBERRY SAUCE — Traditional cranberry sauce gets a spicy kick with the addition of serrano peppers and smoky chipotles in adobo.
I’ve been making the same cranberry sauce for years, and for good reason. It’s simple and delicious. This Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce recipe is very similar to a more tradtional sauce, but with a spicy kick.
You may want to go easy on the peppers the first time you make this, just so it doesn’t turn out too hot.
My husband prefers this to the regular version, which he doesn’t care for at all. He says it’s like putting jam on your turkey. But this version is a bit more savory.
Most Thanksgiving dishes are so traditional, which is one of the things I love about the holiday, but why not add a just a bit of spicy flair?
FYI: Chipotles in adobo come canned, and can usually be found in the Mexican food section of your grocery store. You can freeze any leftover peppers and use them later.
Be sure to save this Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- Canola oil
- Produce: shallots, serrano peppers, cranberries
- Orange juice
- Brown sugar
- Canned chipotle peppers in adobo
- Spices: cinnamon, salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced serrano pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and serrano pepper and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the orange juice, brown sugar, cranberries, chipotle pepper in adobo, cinnamon, and salt. Reduce the heat and simmer until mixture is thick, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside to cool and thicken. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 85 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 141mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 15g Protein: 0g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Guy Fieri @ foodnetwork.com