I have been looking for a very long time for a baked spaghetti dish that is more than just spaghetti and sauce thrown into a casserole dish. This is it! I’m not sure if it’s the cream cheese or French fried onions that make me love it so much, but I suspect it’s a little bit of both. And let’s be honest. Even though the recipe calls for a small can of French fried onions, you’re going to want a big can, because you know you’re going to eat half of it while the spaghetti bakes. Just trying to help you plan ahead my friends.
Baked Spaghetti with Cream Cheese & French Fried Onions
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (24 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- French Fried Onions (small can)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef, onions and garlic and cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in fennel, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano.
- Add cream cheese and water to skillet and cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and heat through.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a greased, 9×13 baking dish.
- Add spaghetti, arranging in an even layer. Pour the sauce evenly over the spaghetti.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with French Fried Onions. Bake 5 minutes more.
Who Dished It Up First:Adapted from Salad in a Jar