CHICKEN WITH CHEESY MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE — Baked chicken smothered in a cheesy, creamy mushroom sauce.
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare chicken, but it’s not often I find a chicken dish that really stands out from the crowd. This Chicken with Cheesy Mushroom Cream Sauce is definitely a stand-out recipe!
This is one of those chicken recipes that is nice enough to make for company, but easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
I made this for dinner tonight and I have to say I shamefully licked my plate clean in the kitchen. It’s was insanely delicious and easy. Even the dog put his best face on for a taste. ~ Katrina
And like all of my favorite recipes, the ingredient list is fairly short and simple.
This was such a big hit with my family–especially my husband, who loves mushrooms. And I’m a fan of anything that comes covered in a cheesy, creamy sauce!
My boys didn’t really care for the mushrooms. So they just scooped them off the chicken and gave them to their dad. It was a win for everyone!
Be sure to save this Chicken with Cheesy Mushroom Cream Sauce recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken with Cheesy Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Produce: mushrooms, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Muenster cheese
Chicken with Cheesy Mushroom Cream Sauce
Baked chicken smothered in a cheesy, creamy mushroom sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 slices Muenster cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a glass baking dish.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/3 cup of flour into a shallow dish. Coat both sides of each chicken breast with flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. (Chicken will finish cooking in the oven). Transfer chicken to the prepared baking dish.
- Add remaining butter to skillet. Stir in mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons flour and cook for another minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring as mixture thickens to avoid lumps.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken. Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and turn oven to broil setting. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Keywords: chicken, mushrooms
I made this tonight for dinner; it was delicious! My hubby was pleased and we may fight over who get’s the leftovers tomorrow for lunch! ~ Traci
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Betty Crocker.