HOT FUDGE LAVA CAKE — Served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream, this rich, gooey chocolate cake is always a hit!
Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the most amazing. Like this warm, gooey Hot Fudge Lava Cake.
This cake is comfort food in chocolate dessert form, and when I make it, there are never any leftovers. Think rich chocolate cake with hot fudge baked right into the center, and that pretty much sums up this cake.
I almost always have the ingredients in my pantry, and it only takes about 10 minutes to mix up and get into the oven. Which is probably dangerous, considering how much I love it!
In fact, it’s a good idea to keep a carton of vanilla ice cream in the freezer so you can whip this cake up any time the mood strikes. It’s delicious topped with whipped cream too.
Of course, in a chocolate emergency, I totally advocate eating it without the ice cream.
You can even add fresh berries, or a drizzle of raspberry sauce to make it extra special. But this cake is definitely amazing on it’s own. I mean, what’s not to love about warm, gooey chocolate cake.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Hot Fudge Lava Cake
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Hot Fudge Lava Cake
Served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream, this rich, gooey chocolate cake is always a hit!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup boiling water
- Vanilla ice cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture (batter will be stiff) Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle reserved cocoa and sugar mixture evenly over the top.
- Gently pour boiling water over batter. Do not stir.
- Carefully place in oven and bake until the top of the cake is cracked and the edges are firm, but the center is still gooey, about 23-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.
Keywords: hot fudge, chocolate, cake
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe