International Pancake Tuesday is coming up on February 17 and if you ask me, that’s a foodie holiday worth celebrating! One of our favorite pancake toppings is Nutella®, so it will definitely be part of the festivities at our breakfast table that day.
We do most of our pancake making on weekends around here, when we all have a chance to sleep in and sit down to breakfast together, and these Chocolate Orange Nutella® Pancakes are our latest Saturday morning creation.
Of course, we also spread Nutella on regular pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, banana pancakes, even blueberry pancakes. Nutella has no artificial colors or preservatives and it doesn’t contain peanuts or peanut ingredients, which is really important if you have a peanut allergy at your house. Instead, it’s made with roasted hazelnuts, skim milk, and a hint of cocoa.
Nutella is like happiness in a jar. So you really can’t go wrong when it comes to starting your day with Nutella and pancakes!
We especially like pairing Nutella and fruit when it comes to topping our pancakes. We often opt for strawberries or bananas (or both) but in honor of National Pancake Tuesday we decided to be adventurous and try something new. Along with Nutella, we topped off our pancakes with some homemade orange syrup and mandarin orange slices.
Turns out, Nutella and oranges are a match made in pancake heaven! The first words out of my 17 year-old son’s mouth the next morning were “Do we have any of those pancakes left?”
Now, if you’re anything like me, you always have a jar or two of Nutella handy in the pantry. If not, you still have time to pick up a jar, along with your favorite fruit, so you’re all ready for International Pancake Tuesday. And be sure to submit a picture of your pancakes to Nutella’s Tumblr page to be entered for a chance to win one of 3,600 jars of Nutella! Of course, I don’t think we’ll be waiting for a special occasion to make these delicious pancakes again!
For the pancakes:
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Nutella, for spreading on pancakes
For the orange syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mandarin orange slices
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, oil, and orange juice. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until well combined. Stir in orange zest and chocolate chips, if using.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle over medium heat. Pour batter onto griddle cup at a time and spread outward slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until bubbles begin to appear. Flip pancakes and cook for about 1 minute on the opposite side. Keep cooked pancakes warm in the oven until all of the batter is used.
- To make the orange syrup combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, combine orange juice and cornstarch until smooth. Pour into sugar mixture and mix well. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until syrup has thickened slightly. Add butter and stir into syrup until melted.
- To serve pancakes, spread about 1 tablespoon Nutella over each pancake. Top with orange syrup and mandarin orange slices.
Nutella + fruit = the perfect topping for pancakes! Pick up a jar of Nutella to celebrate International Pancake Tuesday. The Unique taste of Nutella hazelnut spread comes from the combination of roasted hazelnuts, skim milk and a hint of cocoa, plus Nutella has no artificial colors or preservatives. Visit nutellausa.tumblr.com for recipe ideas and more!
This post was brought to you by Nutella hazelnut spread and Ferrero U.S.A., Inc. I received compensation to write this post…all opinions expressed are my own