TORTELLINI AND WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH PANCETTA — Cheese filled tortellini is simmered in a savory broth with white beans, vegetables and pancetta in this light but filling soup.
When I make dinner, my goal is usually to serve something everyone in my family will love. But occasionally I decide to go ahead and make something that sounds good to me, even when I think the rest of the family might not like it.
Like this Tortellini and White Bean Soup with Pancetta. This soup is just loaded with so many things I love–pasta, beans and pancetta, to name a few of the delicious ingredients.
I live with a houseful of people who don’t like beans, so I really wasn’t sure how this would be received. I thought maybe I could win everyone over by telling them that pancetta was just fancy bacon.
Admittedly, some of the kids left quite a few beans in the bottom of their bowl, but my husband, the most vocal bean-hater of us all, ate every bite and went back for seconds.
Because really, when your meal is loaded with cheese-filled pasta and pancetta, who is going to notice a few beans anyway.
Be sure to save this Tortellini and White Bean Soup with Pancetta recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Tortellini and White Bean Soup with Pancetta
- Olive oil
- Produce: garlic, onions, shallots, carrots, fresh parsley
- Spices: thyme, pepper
- Chicken broth
- Canned white beans
- Parmesan cheese
Tortellini and White Bean Soup with Pancetta
Cheese filled tortellini is simmered in a savory broth with white beans, vegetables and pancetta in this light but filling soup.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces pancetta, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 16-20 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 cans white beans, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Black pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the pancetta, garlic, shallots, carrots and thyme and cook until the pancetta is crispy, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and beans and simmer until tortellini is tender. (Cooking time will vary depending on whether your pasta is fresh or frozen).
- Stir in fresh parsley and season with pepper, to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese for garnish.
Keywords: tortellini, beans, pancetta, soup
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Everyday Pasta by Giada De Laurentiis