CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TOFFEE CAKE — A chocolate ganache and toffee filling is sandwiched between layers of rich, moist chocolate cake, which is frosted with more chocolate ganache and garnished with toffee bits and caramel.
Chocolate. Caramel. Toffee. Cake. That’s pretty much all you need to know about this amazing Chocolate Caramel Toffee Cake!
Rich chocolate ganache and tasty toffee bits are sandwiched in between two moist chocolate cake layers, then everything is finished off with more toffee and ganache, plus a drizzle of caramel for good measure.
You could certainly use your favorite chocolate cake recipe here, but I opted for a doctored-up chocolate cake mix to make things easy. Honestly, with just a few “secret” ingredients, you can make almost any cake mix taste homemade
This is one cake will definitely impress your family and friends! And no one has to know you used a cake mix as a shortcut.
This cake is great if you want to bake up a weekend dessert, but it’s decadent enough for a special occasion. You won’t regret giving this recipe a try!
For the cake
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
For the ganache
- 1 pound semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
For the toppings
- 2 cups Heath Toffee Bits
- 1/4 cup prepared caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- With an electric mixer, beat ingredients for cake until smooth. Divide between the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ganache by placing the chocolate in a large bowl.
- Heat the cream in a medium saucepan until it just begins to simmer. Do not let it boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk the chocolate and cream until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove 1 1/2 cups of ganache to a separate bowl and refrigerate.
- Place one cake layer on a plate or platter. Spread remaining ganache over top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup toffee bits. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining cake layer over the first. Use the refrigerated ganache to frost the top and sides of the cake. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the top of the cake.
- Press the remaining toffee bits around the sides of the cake. Slice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616 Total Fat: 44g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 109mg Sodium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 49g Protein: 6g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Back Around the Table.