ROCKY ROAD COOKIES — Rich chocolate cookies are topped with marshmallows and toasted almonds, then finished off with a creamy chocolate frosting.
My favorite ice cream flavor of all time is Rocky Road. Which would explain why I love these Rocky Road Cookies so much.
The gooey marshmallow is my favorite part, but it would be Rocky Road without the chocolate and nuts.
Yes, there are a few more steps to this than your average cookie, but I promise none of them are difficult, and these cookies are totally worth the teensy bit of extra effort.
The icing does set up pretty quickly, so I suggest frosting 5-6 cookies at a time. And if you prefer, you can substitute walnuts or peanuts for the almonds.
Toasting the nuts is optional, but I think it adds so much flavor!
My family (none of who share my love for Rocky Road ice cream) loved these cookies as much as I did. They’ll definitely become a regular treat at our house!
Be sure to save this recipe for Rocky Road Cookies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Rocky Road Cookies
- Chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
Rocky Road Cookies
Rich chocolate cookies are topped with marshmallows and toasted almonds, then finished off with a creamy chocolate frosting.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
For the icing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and chocolate, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the sugars, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and blend until just combined.
- While mixing, gradually add the flour mixture slowly and blend until just combined Cover the dough and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Rolls the dough into tablespoon sized balls. Arrange the cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet, then flatten slightly. Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and press 3-4 mini marshmallows into each cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake another 2-3 minutes. Cool cookies on the pan for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare icing by whisking all ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth. Drizzle a bit of icing over the marshmallows, then place a few chopped, toasted almonds on top. Drizzle a second layer of icing over the nuts. Allow icing to set for about 30 minutes before serving.
Keywords: cookies, chocolate, marshmallow, nuts, rocky road
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Glorious Treats