Back in his early 20’s my dad spent 2 years in Holland. As kids, we loved looking at the pictures he brought back. I especially loved the photos of the windmills, the fields of tulips, and the huge wheels of cheese. So I jumped at the chance to try some authentic Beemster Premium Dutch Cheese.
There are so many ways to enjoy their delicious cheeses, but this Strawberry Crostini with Gouda and Honey Balsamic was a big hit with everyone in my family. Honestly, I had to shoo everyone away because I wanted more for myself!
I used Beemster Royaal Cheese in this recipe, and it was perfect. And when I say “royal” I mean it! Beemster is a supplier to the Royal Court of the Netherlands, which is the highest prestige bestowed on tradesman and gourmet artisans in Holland.
All Beemster cheese are traditional Goudas from Holland, made by a cooperative of small family farmers and master cheesemakers, founded in 1901. They are available in a range of ages and flavors, including mild, Farmer’s Choice, smoked, Italian, red pepper, mustard and garlic, just to name a few!
With warmer weather making an appearance the last few weeks, I knew I wanted to pair my Beemster cheese with some fresh fruit and balsamic vinegar. It’s a classic combination that’s perfect for spring and summer dining.
I lightly toasted some baguette slices, added thinly sliced Beemster cheese and a few slices of strawberries, then topped it all of with a mixture of balsamic vinegar and honey. Raspberries and blackberries, or a combination, would be great in this recipe too! It’s perfect as an appetizer, or even a light lunch.
- 1 small baguette (6 oz.), thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 ounces Beemster Royaal cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until just golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and top the warm baguette slices with cheese. Place a few slices of strawberry over the cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and honey. Drizzle over the strawberries. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Be sure to check out all the varieties of Beemster Premium Dutch Cheese. You’re sure to find one you love! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later!
Thank you Beemster Cheese for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.