SLOW COOKER MEXICAN CHICKEN — Tender, slow cooked shredded chicken. Perfect for tacos, burritos, enchiladas and more!
As far as I’m concerned, Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken is a recipe everyone should have in their collection.
There are lots of different versions of this savory shredded chicken dish out there, and over the years, I’ve taken what I like from each to create my family’s favorite version of this versatile slow cooker staple.
This is an awesome recipe. I left a long review on the pinterest recipe post. Oh my goodness, if you like flavor, this is a must try. Its going in my recipe binder. A keeper for sure!!!! ~ Sherri
Why is this a must-have recipe? Because there are SO many ways to use it! Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, nachos, tostadas, chimichangas, soups, salads, sandwiches…..the possibilities are almost endless.
Not to mention, it’s so easy to make. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and walk away!
And you can make a huge batch and freeze the leftovers for those hectic nights when you barely have time to get dinner on the table.
If you love the shredded chicken that’s so popular in Mexican restaurants, then you’ll definitely want to try this recipe.
Don’t be put off by the seemingly long ingredient list. It’s mostly spices and seasonings, which is what makes this tender chicken so delicious.
Our favorite way to use enjoy this chicken is in burritos, but there really are so many ways to use it.
You can make it more or less spicy by adjusting the amount of canned chipotles in adobo you use, and by varying the heat level of your salsa.
And it’s perfect if you need to feed a crowd. Just serve this chicken with tortillas, corn chips, and all your favorite taco toppings, and everyone will be satisfied.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Produce: garlic, fresh cilantro
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper
- Canned chipotles in adobo
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons canned chipotles in adobo, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken and remaining ingredients, except cilantro, into a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- One hour before serving, remove chicken and shred with two forks. Strain the juices in the slow cooker through a mesh sieve. Discard solids. Return shredded chicken and strained juices to the slow cooker.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro. Taste and reseason with salt and pepper, if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 549mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 36g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Slow Cooker Honey Sriracha Chicken
Chicken breasts are slow cooked in a blend of sriracha sauce, honey and lime juice, then shredded for tacos, burritos or sandwiches.Get the Recipe
Ultimate Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
With the perfect blend of seasonings and spices, this slow cooked pulled pork is some of the best you'll ever try!Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Pulled Pork Tacos
Slow cooked shredded pork is seasoned with Caribbean spices and served in tortillas with fresh pineapple salsa.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef for Burritos
Slow cooked shredded beef with diced chilies, taco sauce and spices is perfect for burritos, tacos, enchiladas and more!Get the Recipe
Crispy Slow Cooker Carnitas
Savory slow cooked pulled pork is finished off under the broiler for a delicious, crispy texture. Perfect for tacos, burritos, nachos and more!Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef
Smoky shredded roast beef, cooked in spices and chipotles in adobo, then served with a tangy cabbage and red onion slaw.Get the Recipe
Who Dished It Up First: Inspired by Carlsbad Cravings