CHOCOLATE CHIP SPICE BREAD — Loaded with mini chocolate chips and aromatic spices, this quick bread is an old-fashioned treat the whole family will love.
I got the recipe for this Chocolate Chip Spice Bread from my wonderful friend and former college roommate, Michelle.
Making this bread is a holiday family tradition for her, just like it was for her mom. And we all know those are the best kind of recipes!
I recently baked up some of this bread and sent it to school with my high school senior to share with the teachers in the tech department, who put up with him every minute he’s not in class.
He’s in “the shop” every day before school, after school, and at lunch time. They literally can’t get rid of my son.
And since the head of the department wrote him the most amazing letter of recommendation ever, I thought some baked goods were in order.
Well, this bread was a huge hit, to say the least. One of the teachers loved it so much, he visited my blog for the first time ever, looking for the recipe.
This is one of those simple, easy recipes that you probably have all the ingredients for sitting in your pantry right now.
So what are you waiting for? Go and whip up a batch!
A lot of people actually think this is pumpkin bread, because of all the spices. But nope. There’s no pumpkin. Which means even my husband, an avowed pumpkin hater, loves this bread.
I like to bake this bread in mini loaf pans–you’ll get 3-4 from the recipe. According to Michelle, her mom baked little loaves by the hundreds for everyone in their small town when she was a kid.
And I bet everyone loved it!
Be sure to save this Chocolate Chip Spice Bread recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chocolate Chip Spice Bread
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Spices: cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt
- Chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Spice Bread
This simple but delicious spice bread is studded with chocolate chips to make it extra special. Perfect for holiday gift giving!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 mini loaves or 1 large loaf
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease a 9×5 loaf pan, or 3-4 mini loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the applesauce to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in half of the chocolate chips (if you use full size chocolate chips, you’ll want to add a few extra).
- Pour batter into prepared pans, filling about 2/3 full. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over batter. Bake in preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes for mini loaves, and about 60-75 minutes for a full size loaf.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: chocolate chip, spice, bread
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: My college roommate, Michelle. Well…..technically, her mom.