Queso Chicken and Rice Bake
Chicken breasts and rice are smothered in a Tex-Mex seasoned queso sauce, then topped off with fresh chopped tomatoes in this comfort food casserole the whole family will love!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1 oz.) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 oz.) jar salsa con queso
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Chopped tomatoes and chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with half of taco seasoning mix. Cook chicken for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Chicken may not be cooked all the way through, but will finish baking in the oven.
- In large bowl, stir together salsa con queso, milk and diced green chiles; stir in bell pepper, green onions and remaining taco seasoning. Reserve 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Stir rice into remaining sauce mixture.
- Place rice mixture in casserole; place chicken on top of rice. Top with reserved sauce mixture, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more, or until sauce is bubbly and chicken is cooked through. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and cilantro before serving.
Keywords: chicken, rice, queso