HOMEMADE RICE-A-RONI — Now you can make this classic rice side dish at home in almost the same amount of time it takes to make it from a box! The perfect accompaniment to almost any meal.
I loved Rice-a-Roni as a kid, and since my mom didn’t use a lot of pre-made, processed foods, I never got to enjoy the “San Francisco treat” often enough.
But now, with this Homemade Rice-a-Roni recipe, I can serve up this classic rice side dish anytime the craving strikes! Even if I don’t have a box in my pantry.
I admit, I haven’t had Rice-a-Roni from a box in quite a long time….like decades. But if my memory serves me correctly, this made-from-scratch version tastes an awful lot like the original.
And it’s so easy to make, you really don’t even save time with the boxed version. You can whip up this side dish in about 20 minutes, which makes it the perfect accompaniment to almost any meal.
I’m pretty sure my boys love this stuff as much as I loved the boxed stuff as a kid. After all, it’s pretty hard to go wrong with rice and orzo pasta, at least as far as my family is concerned. And did I mention how easy it is?
As far as I’m concerned, unless it’s a major holiday, side dishes have got to be easy. In fact, if I can get away with not making a side dish, I will. So much effort goes into the main course, I just hate spending a ton of time and energy on something else.
But this Homemade Rice-a-Roni practically makes itself, which leaves me free to prep and cook the rest of my meal without any problem.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy side that you can serve on almost any night of the week, this is the recipe for you.
And besides being delicious, you’ll get bonus points for making it from scratch, which makes this dish a win-win in my book!
Be sure to save this Homemade Rice-a-Roni recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Homemade Rice-a-Roni
- Produce: onions, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Spices: salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
Now you can make this classic rice side dish at home in almost the same amount of time it takes to make it from a box! The perfect accompaniment to almost any meal.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice and orzo and saute, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown. Add the onion and cook another 3-4 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Stir in the chicken stock, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Fluff with a fork. Taste and re-season with salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Keywords: rice, orzo
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from The Daring Gourmet