CHICKEN CHEDDAR CORN CHOWDER — This rich, creamy soup features tender chunks of chicken, crispy bacon, plenty of potatoes and corn, and lots of cheddar cheese. True comfort food on a chilly day.
In fact, the first time I served this soup to my family, my husband said it was one of the best soups he’d had in a long time. And the kids devoured it too. That’s how I know I have a winning recipe!
If you’re a fan of corn chowder, the addition of chicken and cheddar cheese take this version to a whole new level. I like to use frozen corn, since that’s what I usually have on hand.
But if you’re a canned corn person, that will work too. You could even use creamed corn in a pinch. And during the summer, you really can’t beat fresh, grilled corn in this recipe.
I make soup several times a week (sometimes more) during the winter months, and this chowder is one of my family’s favorites. It’s loaded with ingredients that kids love as much as adults, so it’s perfect for picky eaters (and believe me, I have a few of those at my house).
And like most soups, this one is super easy to throw together. I can usually have a pot of this creamy, delicious corn chowder on the table in about 30 minutes.
Especially if I’m using a supermarket rotisserie chicken, and I can convince someone else to peel the potatoes for me.
My family loves this soup with some Saltine crackers or a crusty loaf of bread on the side. Whatever you serve with this Chicken Cheddar Corn Chowder, it’s sure to be a favorite at your house too!
Be sure to save this Chicken Cheddar Corn Chowder recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken Cheddar Corn Chowder
- Produce: bell peppers, garlic, potatoes, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Frozen or canned corn
- Half and half
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn (or canned)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan; crumble and set aside.
- Add the red pepper, garlic and onion to the pot and cook until vegetables are just tender. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the diced potatoes and cooked chicken to the pot and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and half and half until smooth. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the soup, stirring constantly until soup thickens. Stir in the corn and .
- Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and reserved bacon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and additional cheese and bacon, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 540 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 137mg Sodium: 1182mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 42g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Cajun Sausage and Corn Chowder
This thick, hearty chowder is loaded with smoked sausage, potatoes and corn, with some Cajun seasoning for a spicy kick!Get the Recipe
Creamy Southwest Corn Chowder
This hearty Southwest style soup features chicken, black beans, corn and peppers in a slightly spicy, creamy broth. Top with shredded cheese and avocado for a heartwarming lunch or dinner.Get the Recipe
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chowder
This creamy, hearty soup features fresh jalapenos, chicken, corn, potatoes, bacon and cheese. The perfect meal for a chilly day!Get the Recipe
The Best Clam Chowder
This hearty, creamy chowder is loaded with clams, potatoes, green peppers, celery and seasoning. The secret is the baked roux, which makes this classic chowder extra thick and delicious.Get the Recipe
Easy Shrimp and Corn Chowder
Loaded with shrimp, corn and melted cheese, this hearty seafood chowder comes together in 30 minutes or less!Get the Recipe
Cream Cheese Potato Soup
Cream cheese is the secret ingredient in this simple yet flavorful potato soup recipe.Get the Recipe
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Favorite Family Recipes