Whenever I have an abundance of strawberries my husband’s first request is for strawberry pie. So I decided to combine his love of strawberry pie with his love of chocolate covered strawberries in this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pie.
The combination of creamy chocolate filling with fresh strawberries and chocolate ganache was brilliant! Honestly, the chocolate pie on its own is pretty amazing, but the strawberries take it to a whole new level.
I have made this with both homemade whipped cream and frozen whipped topping, and while both work, the frozen stuff does tend to set up better.
You may not use all the chocolate ganache, but a little extra ganache never hurt anyone!
P.S. I really hope you like strawberries, because there will probably be a lot of strawberry recipes coming your way in the next few weeks.
- 1 (14.3 oz.) package Oreos
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed (the big tub)
- 8 ounces strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse Oreo cookies to form crumbs. Stir in melted butter.
- Press crumb mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, with an electric or stand mixer, beat melted chocolate with sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- Fold in thawed whipped topping.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into prepared crust and smooth top. (If you can' t quite fit it all,just serve the extra as mousse.)
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- To make the ganache, heat 1/2 cup cream to just a simmer. Pour over semi-sweet chocolate in a small bowl and whisk until shiny and smooth; cool to room temperature (mixture should still be runny enough to drizzle).
- Before serving, arrange strawberry halves over pie.
- Drizzle chocolate ganache over strawberries. Serve immediately, or return to refrigerator until serving.
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.