CREAM CHEESE BANANA NUT BREAD — Banana bread becomes extra moist and delicious with a ribbon of sweetened cream cheese swirled throughout the batter, and a drizzle of orange glaze on top.
I don’t know about you, but I never seem to have enough recipes for using up over-ripe bananas. I don’t think we go more than a week around here without having a few old bananas that need using–and I always feel guilty throwing them away.
Thankfully, you really can’t go wrong with some good, old-fashioned banana bread, and this Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread is a new favorite.
As you might expect, adding cream cheese makes the bread extra moist and delicious. We loved this bread for both breakfast and after-school snacking.
And here’s a pro tip for you. Banana bread makes some amazing French toast. So save a few slices of this bread for the weekend, when a hot, homemade breakfast is in order.
My kids aren’t usually fans of pecans (or nuts of any kind), but no one seemed to mind them in this recipe. You could certainly omit them if needed, or substitute walnuts, if you prefer.
I love the orange drizzle that goes on this bread too! Trust me, it’s the perfect finishing touch to this fabulous sweet bread.
Be sure to save this Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread
- Cream cheese
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Produce: bananas, oranges
- Powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter milk
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe, mashed bananas (3-4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 8x4-inch loaf pans.
- Place 3/4 cup of the pecans on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to cream cheese mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until just blended after each addition. Stir in mashed bananas and 3/4 cup toasted pecans.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans and sprinkle with the remaining pecans. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover bread with foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- Cook bread in pans for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir together powdered sugar, orange juice and zest. Drizzle over cooled loaves.
Makes 2 loaves.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Banana Bread Coffee Cake
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Southern Living