CRISPY AIR FRIED YELLOW SQUASH — Rounds of yellow summer squash are dredged in beaten egg, coated in a seasoned cornmeal mixture, then cooked in the air fryer until they’re tender and crispy.
Our neighbors recently brought by some zucchini and yellow squash from their backyard garden, and I knew right away that I was going to use my new air fryer to make some Crispy Air Fried Yellow Squash.
And yes, this recipe works for all that zucchini you might have a surplus of too–I just opted to use my zucchini for a delicious cake this time.
If I’m being honest, squash is one of my least favorite vegetables on the planet. I like some varieties more than others, but there are only a handful of ways I enjoy eating it–outside of baked goods, of course!
Deep fried is definitely my number one way to enjoy yellow squash. Actually, deep fried is my number one way to enjoy a lot of foods, but I digress.
And thanks to the air fryer, I could make a more healthy version of deep fried squash, and not even feel guilty for having seconds and thirds.
As picky as I am about squash, the rest of my family is even more so. But as long as I serve it crispy with something for dipping, most of them will eat it.
We love dipping this air fried squash in Comeback Sauce or Ranch Dressing, but feel free to choose your favorite sauce for dipping.
I like to slice my squash closer to 1/2 thick, but you could slice it thin if you prefer. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time up or down a bit depending on the thickness of your slices.
I also use seasoned breadcrumbs in this recipe, so if you use plain breadcrumbs, you might want to add some extra spices to the mix.
If you have and abundance of summer squash coming from your garden–or your neighbor’s garden, you’ve got to try this Crispy Air Fried Yellow Squash today!
Be sure to save this Crispy Air Fried Yellow Squash recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Crispy Air Fried Yellow Squash
- Yellow squash
- Bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Spices: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper
- 2-3 medium yellow squash, sliced 1/4-1/2 inch thick
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Season the sliced squash with salt and pepper, to taste. In a shallow pan, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- In a second shallow pan, combine the cornmeal, bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika and garlic powder.
- Dredge the sliced squash in the egg mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange in a single layer on your air fryer's cooking rack. You may need to cook the squash in 2-3 batches.
- Air fry the squash at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until just tender on the inside and golden on the outside.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 590mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Julia’s Simply Southern
Last Updated on 2021-12-04 by Danelle