It looks like a long list of ingredients, but really you’re just throwing everything into a pot, so this soup comes together in no time. It makes a lot, but it’s great for lunch the next day, and you can also put some in the freezer.
I like mine with corn tortillas cut or torn into small pieces, plus all of the optional toppings–but the tortilla strips are a must. Otherwise it’s just spicy vegetable soup. Tortilla chips work too. I usually have the ingredients for this on hand, so I can throw it together at the last minute. Of course, you can always add meat to make this soup even more hearty.
Easy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- Tortilla strips (soft or crunchy)
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and green pepper and saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans and corn and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. Stir in lime juice just before serving.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a generous amount of tortilla strips. Add optional toppings as desired.
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.
Thanks for sharing. Looks yummy!
i made my first chicken tortilla soup last week and i fell in love with it! cant’ wait to try this one!
I do a chicken tortilla version that my husband loves, but I always think I’d like it better w/o the chicken. You read my mind.
This definitely looks yummy! I could eat the whole pot in one sitting!
this would be great with chicken… i love hearty soups!
We’ve been eating a lot of soup since the weather has gotten cooler. This one looks delicious!
Love it…tortilla soup always hits the spot!
Sounds pretty good and I’m not really keen about tomatoes.
Tortilla soup is one of my favorits but I have never made it myself. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Hello, I finally got around to trying out your recipe. It turned out great! So easy and quick to throw together and it tasted even better the second day. Thanks for the inspiration!