PHILLY CHEESE STEAK SOUP (SLOW COOKER) — Sirloin steak, mushrooms, onions and plenty of cheese, simmered in the slow cooker, then topped with toasted bread and French fried onions.
It’s my favorite time of year–soup weather! And when it comes to preparing hearty fall soups like this Philly Cheese Steak Soup for my family, my slow cooker is my favorite kitchen helper.
I can’t tell you how many slow cookers I’ve owned over the years, but my Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget® 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker is by far the best!
It has absolutely everything I’ve ever wanted in a slow cooker. The removable crock is a must, in my opinion, for easy clean up.
Like most slow cookers, the Hamilton Beach version allows you to choose a high or low heat setting, but you can also use the program mode to cook your food for a certain amount of time–perfect if your meal will be done before you get home.
The slow cooker just switches to the warm setting until you arrive. There’s even a meat probe for cooking meat to the proper internal temperature.
It seems like things always get crazy right before dinner time, at least at our house.
That’s when I’m out picking kids up from after-school activities or soccer practice, and then I’m tempted to just pick up some fast food and call it a night.
But with my Hamilton Beach slow cooker, I can get all my dinner prep work done ahead of time, and my family can enjoy a home cooked meal together at the end of the day.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Soup
- Olive oil
- Produce: onions, garlic, mushrooms, fresh parsley
- Sirloin steak
- Beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Spices: cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- American cheese
- Cream cheese
- Sub sandwich buns
- Mozzarella cheese
- French fried onions
Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Soup
Sirloin steak, mushrooms, onions and plenty of cheese, simmered in the slow cooker, then topped with toasted bread and French fried onions.
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cubed
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened for 20-30 seconds in microwave
- 2-3 sub buns, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, for garnish
- French fried onions, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive olive in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Add cubed steak to skillet and sear on all sides until meat is dark golden brown, adding more oil if needed. Add to slow cooker with onions and garlic.
- Whisk together beef broth, flour, and Worcestershire sauce. Add to slow cooker along with mushrooms and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. One hour before serving, turn slow cooker to high heat. Add the American and cream cheese. Stir every 10-15 minutes as the cheese melts.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cubed bread with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toast for 7-8 minutes, or until bread is golden and crispy.
- Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, toasted bread cubes and French fried onions.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Google+
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chowder
Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Cheesy Beefaroni Soup
This is a sponsored post for Hamilton Beach. All opinions stated are my own.
Kim - Liv Life
I LOVE that this is travel friendly!! I had transported one once and the lid fell off in the car and oh what a mess. And this soup?? Amazing!
Looks like a great crockpot.
Looks like a great crockpot.
This is delicious. I love Philly cheese steak. ~ Catherine
I think this sounds amazing. I’ve got to make it!
Andrea @ Maybe It's Just Me
It comes full of the soup, right? 😉
Danielle | Krafted Koch
This looks amazing! There is nothing better than coming home to a delicious meal ready to enjoy.
After 9 months of “meatless mondays” I decided to switch things up. Now we have “soup and sandwich mondays.” This recipe was the hubby’s request. Made it with much reserve and hesitation. Philly cheese steak in a soup? Oh yeah. It nails it. And is WONDERFUL! Our 2yr old devoured a bowl herself. We used a leftover roasted garlic loaf for our croutons. For anyone wanting to try this… DO NOT USE REG BEEF BROTH! Danelle isn’t just trying to make this slightly healthier. She means business. We used reg beef broth because we were afraid of losing flavor. Bad idea. Way too much sodium. Had we just listened to Danelle, we wouldn’t have been so dehydrated afterwards. Also, for those that love mushrooms like us, go ahead and double them. You got room. Promise. 🙂
Looks amazing can you make this ahead of time and freeze it for a later date?
I’ve never tried freezing it. I’m not sure how well it would work with all of the cheese, but if you give it a try, I’d love to know how it turns out.
I did freeze it, but what i did was that I did not add the cheeses until they day that we had it. It turned out really well that way
Made this today. Followed it to the letter. Have to say we didn’t like it. Very thin, WAY to much ONION! Not enough cheese (or cheese with flavor). Sorry, will not make again or recommend.
We will keep searching for a good cheesy sirloin soup… this was not it.