SLOW COOKER CHICKEN GYROS — Chicken is slow cooked with Greek seasonings, then piled onto flatbread with tomatoes, peppers, feta cheese and tzatziki sauce.
These Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros are one of our family’s favorite Greek style meals. We order similar gyros so often at our favorite Greek restaurant, I figured it was time to start making them at home!
The chicken comes out so tender and juicy in the slow cooker. And honestly, it couldn’t be any easier!
Because I have some picky eaters, I like to serve the chicken and toppings separately so everyone can build their own gyro to suit their tastes. So feel free to add or omit toppings to your liking.
If you like things spicy, try adding hot sauce and jalapenos to your gyro! Chopped red onions are also a fabulous addition. And so are sliced or diced cucumbers.
If you have Greek seasoning handy, you can use that in place of the listed spices in the recipe. It makes the process even quicker and easier.
But whatever you do, don’t skip the tzatziki sauce! It’s what really makes these gyros special, and gives them that touch of Greek flare. Plus, it’s really delicious (and good with pita chips too).
I usually serve this savory chicken filling on Stonefire Mini Naan, but if I’m feeling really ambitious, I’ll make my own naan bread from scratch. Any kind of flatbread or pita bread will work though.
I love serving these Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros to my family. They’re easy, healthy, and everyone loves them!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros
- Produce: garlic, onions, red peppers, tomatoes
- Spices: oregano, lemon pepper, allspice, salt
- Greek yogurt
- Feta cheese
- Tzatziki sauce
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced
- Feta cheese
- Pita bread or flatbread
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, garlic, oregano, lemon-pepper, allspice and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred.
- Stir 1/2 cup yogurt into onions and juices in slow cooker.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine with yogurt sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon to stuff warmed pitas or flatbread with chicken mixture.
- Top with tomato, red pepper, feta and tzatziki sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 627mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 31g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Key Ingredient