SUGAR COOKIE BARS — If you need to make cookies for a crowd, these Sugar Cookie Bars are perfect. Thick, soft, chewy and topped with a delicious homemade frosting, you may never make traditional sugar cookies again.
I first shared this recipe for Sugar Cookie Bars back in 2010, but with Valentine’s Day coming up, I thought it was worth repeating.
I don’t know about you, but I hate all the rolling and cutting and frosting involved with making sugar cookies. That’s why I think sugar cookie bars are a brilliant idea!
I made these on Valentine’s day for my co-workers and they were gone by 2pm! I had so many people come up to me to ask for the recipe and to tell me that these were the best cookies they had ever tasted!
Thank you for an amazing recipe! I look forward to making these many many more times! ~ Vanessa
And these cookie bars aren’t just quick and easy, they’re delicious too. Thick and soft, just the way sugar cookies should be.
You can color your frosting and use different sprinkles to dress these up for any occasion, just like regular sugar cookies.
In an airtight container, these will stay soft for several days (I think they were even better on the second day).
This recipe will feed a crowd, so it’s perfect for a class party (if you’re allowed to bring homemade treats) or Valentine’s for all of your neighbors.
I may never make cut-out sugar cookies again.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sugar Cookie Bars
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter/sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread dough onto a greased 13×18 inch baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For soft cookies, do not overbake. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, combine butter and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in vanilla or almond extract and salt.
- Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk one tablespoon at a time until frosting is desired spreading consistency. You may not use all the milk.
- Spread frosting over cooled cookie bars and cut into squares.
I made these the other day and can’t stop eating them!! Sugar cookie bars are fast becoming my new favorite dessert. ~ Koci
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from a recipe I spotted at The Girl Who Ate Everything. I’m glad she shared it and made sugar cookie baking so much easier!