FRUIT AND PUDDING CAKE — A yellow cake layer is topped with fresh fruit, a sweetened vanilla pudding and cream cheese layer, whipped cream and coconut in this delicious summer cake.
This Fruit and Pudding Cake is hands down my family’s favorite cake. I actually can’t believe I haven’t shared it with you already, since my husband and boys request it so often.
I especially love making this cake during the summer months, when so much fresh fruit is in season.
Looked very good so I fixed it for a gathering of friends. One couple brought their 14 year old daughter and I got an “Oh Wow!” from her when she tasted it. That started everyone lining up to try it.
Her mother said that if I got that reaction from the daughter it must be good!! Very good, easy to fix and all have loved it! ~ Marvin
You can use any type of fruit you’d like to top this cake. One of my favorite combinations is pineapple, kiwi and strawberries. This berry version though is perfect for Memorial Day or Independence Day.
I recommend using mostly fresh fruit. Any canned fruit you use should be very well drained. Pineapple and mandarin oranges are both good options for canned fruit in this recipe.
The coconut is optional, but it does help keep any juices from the fruit from seeping into the whipped cream. Whether you use the coconut or not, I recommend adding your fruit just before serving, if at all possible.
Don’t be surprised if you get lots of requests for this cake recipe. It’s different and refreshing and it’s a hit with everyone who tries it!
Be sure to save this Fruit and Pudding Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Fruit and Pudding Cake
- Yellow cake mix
- Cream cheese
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Cool Whip
- Pineapple tidbits
- Fresh berries
- Flaked coconut
Fruit & Pudding Cake
A yellow cake layer is topped with fresh fruit, a sweetened vanilla pudding and cream cheese layer, whipped cream and coconut in this delicious summer cake.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 of a yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3.9 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping
- 1 (8 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or black berries
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix 3/4 of the cake mix with the water and egg until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the milk and mix until smooth. Stir in the instant vanilla pudding.
- Spread the pudding mixture evenly on the cooled cake. Top the pudding layer with the whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the whipped cream layer. Top with the pineapple and berries.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Keywords: fruit, pudding, cake
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This recipe was given to me years ago by a friend.