HERBED BISCUITS WITH SAUSAGE GRAVY — Savory homemade biscuits are topped with a creamy sausage gravy in this classic comfort food breakfast.
I’m sorry, I won’t be helping anyone out with their New Year’s resolutions here. But we had these Herbed Biscuits with Sausage Gravy for Christmas morning breakfast and I couldn’t wait to share.
My oldest son’s favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy. Everyone loved this recipe so much, we’ve decided biscuits and gravy will be our new Christmas morning tradition.
I doubled the recipe for my family of five and every last bit was completely devoured. Some people may have actually licked their plates.
Something magical happens when you pour a bunch of heavy cream into a pot of breakfast sausage. It is so, SO good!
Just remember not to overwork your biscuit dough. And if you do want to cut out a few calories, you could use milk or half and half in place of the cream.
But when it comes to comfort food, I find it best not to worry about calories too much.
And really, we can wait until January 2 to start our New Year’s resolutions, right? But right now, you need to try this biscuits and gravy recipe!
Be sure to save this recipe for Herbed Biscuits with Sausage Gravy to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Herbed Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Produce: green onions, fresh parsley,
- Olive oil
- Pork sausage
- Heavy cream
- Spices: cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
Herbed Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
Savory homemade biscuits are topped with a creamy sausage gravy in this classic comfort food breakfast.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (save whites for the gravy)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Scallion whites (leftover from biscuits), finely chopped
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter (I just use my hands) cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Stir in the buttermilk, scallions and parsley until just combined. Do not over mix. Dough may still be slightly sticky.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface. Gently pat the dough out to 1/2 inch thick. Fold the dough over 3 or 4 times and pat it down again to about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits using a round cutter or glass. Press out dough scraps to cut additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the scallion whites and sauté them for about 1 minute, or until tender.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the butter to the skillet and stir until melted. Stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes more. Stir in the milk and cream and bring to simmer. When the gravy has thickened, stir in the cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Serve gravy over sliced biscuits. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Keywords: biscuits, sausage, gravy
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Bev Cooks