SLOW COOKER APPLE BUTTER — Apples are simmered all day in the slow cooker with cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices to create this sweet, delicious spread.
If you’ve never made Slow Cooker Apple Butter, you’re definitely missing out. Not only does it taste amazing, it’s really easy to make in your slow cooker.
A slice of cinnamon swirl bread topped with some homemade apple butter is a favorite breakfast around here.
If you don’t have an apple peeler/corer/slicer, it’s worth getting one for this recipe alone. Otherwise, you’ll spend quite a while peeling and chopping five pound of apples.
But once your apples are diced, you just cook them all day in the slow cooker with sugar and spices. I find that a mixture of sweet and tart apples works well in this recipe.
And I like a smooth apple butter, so I puree mine with an immersion blender when it’s done cooking.
This apple butter makes a great holiday gift for neighbors, and it freezes well, so you can make it ahead of time to give away later. If you don’t eat it all yourself, that is!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt
- 5-6 pounds apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Place the diced apples in a lightly greased slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Puree with an immersion blender, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 6 months.
Makes about 6 (8 oz.) jars.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes