GERMAN CHOCOLATE DUMP CAKE — A quick, easy version of German chocolate cake, complete with a layer of coconut and chopped pecans.
When you’re craving dessert, but you don’t have a lot of time to spare, nothing beats a dump cake. And this German Chocolate Dump Cake may just be my favorite dump cake ever!
If you’re a fan of traditional German chocolate cake, think of this as a quicker, easier version of the classic. But just because it’s quick and easy, doesn’t mean it isn’t delicious!
My husband cooked this cake in a Dutch oven over briquettes. He was looking for a recipe that he could make for our Idaho RV group.
This recipe won hands down! I’m sure he will make it every time he gets to bake for a crowd. It was delicious and I didn’t have to do anything…..not even clean-up. ~ Jane
You start with a devil’s food cake mix, add a few special ingredients, and about 40 minutes later, you’ve got a rich chocolate cake ready to serve!
It’s worth keeping the ingredients on hand, just so you can whip this dessert up for last minute guests, or in case an unexpected chocolate craving strikes!
You may be wondering about the cream cheese–not a traditional ingredient in German chocolate cake. But trust me, it works!
Somehow during the baking process, the cream cheese combines with the coconut, pecans and powdered sugar to replicate the gooey coconut frosting you’d find on a classic German chocolate cake. I don’t know how it happens, but it does!
We like to serve this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. But it’s equally wonderful sliced and served at room temperature.
In fact, I may have been caught eating it straight from the pan, not even bothering with a plate or proper utensils.
Be sure to save this German Chocolate Dump Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make German Chocolate Dump Cake
- Devil’s food cake mix plus ingredients for making cake
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips
German Chocolate Dump Cake
A quick, easy version of German chocolate cake, complete with a layer of coconut and chopped pecans.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 box devils food cake mix plus ingredients for making cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle coconut and 1 cup of chopped pecans into the prepared pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package direction. Pour over coconut and pecans.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, but the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar. Stir in the chocolate chips and the remaining pecans.
- Using a spoon, dollop the cream cheese mixture over the cake batter. Gently swirl the cream cheese mixture into the batter with a knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Keywords: german, chocolate, dump, cake
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home