PUMPKIN SWIRL SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE — Classic coffee cake is infused with a ribbon of sweet pumpkin filling and topped with a cinnamon and pecan streusel.
Pumpkin season is in full swing, and I just love trying new pumpkin inspired recipes. And this Pumpkin Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake quickly became a new favorite at my house this fall.
But even my husband, an avowed pumpkin hater, liked this cake. I think the fact that it’s mostly cake, with just a ribbon of sweet pumpkin filling, is what won him over.
And the cake itself is wonderful. It could certainly stand on it’s own as a great coffee cake recipe. But the pumpkin and spices make it perfect for serving this time of year.
Of course, the biggest dilemma is deciding whether to enjoy it for breakfast or dessert. When it doubt, I opt for both!
If you’re serving this cake as a dessert, I highly recommend a dollop of whipped cream on top. And if you really want to indulge at breakfast, I recommend the same.
My favorite thing about coffee cake is always the streusel topping, and this recipe was no exception. You could certainly substitute chopped walnuts for the pecans if you prefer.
You could also use plain yogurt in place of the sour cream. Either one will make this cake extra moist and delicious, so use whatever you have on hand.
I shared some of this coffee cake with the neighbors and they loved it as much as my family did. It certainly didn’t last long at our house. Anytime my husband compliments a pumpkin recipe, you know it’s a keeper!
Be sure to save this Pumpkin Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Pumpkin Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Brown sugar
- Spices: cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- Canned pumpkin
Pumpkin Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Classic coffee cake is infused with a ribbon of sweet pumpkin filling and topped with a cinnamon and pecan streusel.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the streusel
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
For the cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
For the filling
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. For streusel, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and pumpkin pie spice. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with sour cream.
- Spread half of batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Combine pumpkin, egg, sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Drop by tablespoonfuls over streusel and swirl gently into cake with a knife. Top with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Keywords: pumpkin, coffee cake
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home