SWEET AND SPICY PORK AND ASPARAGUS — Ground pork and fresh asparagus are sauteed in a sweet and spicy Asian sauce, then served over rice in this unique and delicious dish.
I love scouring Pinterest and food blogs for new recipes, and every once in awhile, I come across a truly unique recipe idea, like this Sweet and Spicy Pork and Asparagus.
Normally, I’d expect a stir fried pork recipes to use sliced pork (like what you’d expect from your favorite Chinese restaurant), so I was really intrigued by the idea of using ground pork in a stir fry.
Well, let me tell you, it was amazing! Especially as an accompaniment to the fresh asparagus.
And the sweet and spicy Asian inspired sauce was the perfect way to bring it all together.
I honestly wasn’t sure how my kids would feel about this dish–especially with the asparagus–but they cleaned their plates and came back for seconds and thirds. And my husband and I loved it too!
When shopping for this recipe, make sure to look for plain ground pork. You don’t want ground Italian sausage, or anything with seasoning, since that might throw off the flavors of the recipe.
Of course, you could always add other veggies, just make sure to use vegetables that will cook in about the same time as the asparagus, like peppers and mushrooms.
This sweet and spicy pork stir fry was perfect served over warm white rice, but rice noodles would be another great option.
I like to finish things off with a sprinkling of sliced green onions and sesame seeds too. But that’s entirely optional.
This unique, flavorful pork dish is one that will definitely become a part of our regular menu rotation. I hope you love it as much as we did!
Be sure to save this Sweet and Spicy Pork and Asparagus recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sweet and Spicy Pork and Asparagus
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Produce: garlic, asparagus, jalapeno, fresh ginger, green onions
- Ground pork
- Sesame oil
- Spices: red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Rice vinegar
- Cooked rice, for serving
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2-3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3-4 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, cornstarch and garlic cloves. Add the pork and toss to blend.
- Heat the sesame oil in a heavy large wok or deep skillet over high heat. Add asparagus, jalapeno, and ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus mixture to a plate.
- Add the pork mixture to the pan and cook until browned, using wooden spoon to break up pork into small pieces, about 3-4 minutes.
- Return asparagus mixture to pan. Stir in rice vinegar. Stir-fry until pork is cooked through, another 3-5 minutes. Add water by tablespoonfuls if it becomes too dry. Add green onions; toss to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve over rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 423 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 780mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 31g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Sweet and Sour Ham
Cooked ham is sauteed with peppers and pineapple, cooked in a delicious sweet and sour sauce, then served over rice and garnished with chopped cashews.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Meatballs, pineapple and peppers slow cooked in a tangy sweet and sour glaze.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Meatballs
Meatballs are simmered in the slow cooker in a flavorful, sweet and spicy homemade teriyaki sauce.Get the Recipe
Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
Healthier than take out, this baked sweet and sour chicken is sure to become a family favorite!Get the Recipe
Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Better than take-out orange chicken made in the slow cooker!Get the Recipe
Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Slow cooked in a sweet and spicy glaze, this Mongolian beef is better than take-out!Get the Recipe
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cassie Craves