CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM CAKE — Strawberry ice cream is sandwiched between two decadent chocolate cake layers, then covered in a rich chocolate ganache in this easy but elegant dessert creation.
If you’re looking for a unique dessert for a special occasion, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake!
If you’ve ever seen those fancy ice cream cakes at your local ice cream shop, you know how delicious they look. But they’re pretty expensive, and the truth is, it’s not that hard to make an ice cream cake yourself at home.
Basically, you just need two round cake layers to start. Then you sandwich some of your favorite ice cream in between–kind of like a giant ice cream sandwich–then top it all off with your favorite frosting or glaze.
In this case, I combined chocolate cake and strawberry ice cream, but the concept would work with almost and cake and ice cream flavor. Yum!
The important thing here is that your cake pans and your springform pan (which you use to assemble the layers) are the same size.
So if you use 8-inch cake pans, you’ll need an 8-inch springform pan to assemble the cake. If you have 9-inch cake pans, you’ll need a 9-inch springform pan….you get the idea.
In keeping with the chocolate covered strawberry theme, I chose to frost my cake with a layer of rich chocolate ganache. I love how this allows you to still see the layers of cake and ice cream.
And of course, I had to add a few chocolate covered strawberries to the top, along with a handful of sprinkles, for garnish. The result is a showstopping dessert that’s easy to make but perfect for any special occasion or celebration. Enjoy!
Be sure to save this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Strawberry Cream Pie with Chocolate Drizzle
A sweetened cream cheese pie filling is topped with fresh sliced strawberries and finished off with a drizzle of chocolate.
Decadent Brownie Pie
A rich chocolate brownie base is topped off with a layer of chocolate ganache in this truly decadent dessert.
Pressure Cooker Chocolate Cheesecake
Rich, decadent chocolate cheesecake with a chocolate crumb crust, cooked to perfection in your Instant Pot.
Chocolate Raspberry Trifle
Layers of chocolate cake, chocolate cream, fudge sauce, whipped cream and fresh raspberries come together in this beautiful layered dessert.
Strawberry Lemon Pie
Fresh strawberries are piled into flaky pie crust then finished off with a sweet glaze and a sprinkling of lemon zest. The perfect spring or summer dessert!
Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake
This amazing chocolate cake starts with a cake mix and couldn't be easier or more decadent.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- Chocolate cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Mini chocolate chips
- Strawberry ice cream
- Chocolate ganache
- Strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- 1 (15.25 oz.) box chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 quart strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
- With an electric mixer, beat cake mix, oil, eggs and water until smooth. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Divide batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer in the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan (be sure to use the same size springform pan as your cake pans). Spread the softened ice cream over the cake layer, then top with the second cake layer. Place the cake in the freezer for at least 2 hours, or until the ice cream is set.
- Prepare the ganache by bringing cream to just boiling in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate until melted and shiny. Set aside until ganache is cool but still pourable.
- Pour ganache over cake, spreading to the edges so the ganache runs over the sides of the cake. Return to the freezer until ready to serve. Let cake stand for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 462 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 98mg Sodium: 86mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 19g Protein: 6g
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe