LAZY SUNDAY CASSEROLE — This savory sausage and vegetable dinner is as easy as throwing everything into a baking dish with olive oil and herbs. A splash of balsamic vinegar finishes it all off for great flavor!
I knew when I spotted this Lazy Sunday Casserole on Pinterest, it was going to be good. I had no idea how good. And the rest of the family agrees!
Honestly, Sunday’s aren’t that lazy around here. We go to three hours of church every week. So I definitely want Sunday dinner to be something a lazy person can easily make.
I just made this for dinner. I will be making it again as it was very delicious. I think my favorite parts of the dish were the mushrooms and the sauce. ~ Lacey
This casserole totally fits the bill. It’s loaded with Italian sausage and tons of vegetables. Not to mention, tons of flavor. The splash of balsamic vinegar that’s added at the end of the cooking time is definitely the secret ingredient.
This dish is also a great way to use up whatever odds and ends of vegetables you have in your refrigerator, so feel free to adapt the ingredients to what you have on hand.
This casserole has become one of our favorite dishes. Even my picky eaters were gobbling up things they would normally never touch, like carrots and mushrooms. The broth and vinegar, along with the spices, combine to make a wonderfully flavorful sauce.
Be sure to serve this with some crusty bread to sop up all of the delicious juices on your plate. I also like to sprinkle on some fresh herbs before serving.
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It is in the oven now…smells sooo good…perfect for this lazy Sunday! ~ Laura
One important tip: be sure to chop all your ingredients so that they’ll finish cooking at around the same time. Which means you’ll want to go a little smaller for things like potatoes and carrots. Peppers, onions and mushrooms you can leave a bit larger.
And don’t tell anyone, but I have made this on days other than Sunday. It’s just too good to only enjoy one day a week!
Be sure to save this Lazy Sunday Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Lazy Sunday Casserole
- Italian sausage
- Produce: red potatoes, baby carrots, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic
- Olive oil
- Spices: basil, oregano, fennel seeds, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Balsamic vinegar
- 5 Italian sausages
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine all of the chopped vegetables in a large roasting pan.
- Whisk together the olive oil, minced garlic, basil, oregano and fennel seeds.
- Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over vegetables. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, brown sausages in a large skillet over medium heat. They do not need to be cooked all the way through, just browned.
- Remove from skillet and slice into thirds.
- Remove foil from vegetables and add sausages to pan.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and give everything a good stir.
- Return the pan to the oven, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, or until everything is browned as the sausages are cooked through.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Kayotic Kitchen.