CRISPY CHEDDAR CHICKEN — Tender chicken breast pieces are coated in a cheesy crumb crust, baked until golden, then topped with a simple chicken gravy.
If you’re a food snob, you might as well leave now. This is a canned soup recipe. However, if you’d like to hear more about the only meat dish that everyone in my family gobbles up and asks for more of, stick around for this Crispy Cheddar Chicken.
Honestly, I don’t use a lot of canned soups in my cooking, but this chicken is a huge family favorite. I’m afraid there would be a mutiny if I stopped serving it!
Even my child who doesn’t usually like meat cleans his plate when I make this Crispy Cheddar Chicken. I’m thinking it has something to do with the cheesy Ritz cracker crumb coating. Or maybe the delicious, creamy sauce.
If you really can’t stomach the idea of using canned soup, a nice, homemade chicken gravy would work just fine.
The recipe as written makes quite a bit of crumb coating–probably enough for 6-8 chicken breasts. So consider using extra chicken, or using less crumbs.
You do want to really pack on the crumbs though, so you have a nice, thick coating. I mean, the crunchy coating is the best part. And it helps keep the chicken most and tender.
I’d go with extra chicken, since I never seem to make enough of this to satisfy everyone.
If you’re looking for a simple, crowd pleasing chicken dinner, then this is the recipe for you. We never have leftovers when I make this for dinner!
Be sure to save this Crispy Cheddar Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Crispy Cheddar Chicken
- Ritz crackers
- Cheddar cheese
- Spices: dried parsley, salt and pepper
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
Crispy Cheddar Chicken
Tender chicken breast pieces are coated in a cheesy crumb crust, baked until golden, then topped with a simple chicken gravy.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (14 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 or 3 large chunks.
- In a food processor combine the Ritz crackers, grated cheese, parsely, salt and pepper. Pulse a few times to form crumbs.
- In a shallow dish, stir together the beaten eggs and milk. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg/milk mixture, then in the cracker crumb mixture, pressing the crumbs on to coat well.
- Place the coated chicken in a 9×13 pan coated with cooking spray. Spray the top of the chicken with a thin, even layer of cooking spray.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the edges of the chicken are golden brown and crispy.
- To make sauce, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and butter with a whisk in a medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until the sauce hot.
- Stir in milk until sauce reaches desired consistency. Serve over the chicken.
Keywords: chicken, cheese
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up