SAUSAGE APPLE AND CRANBERRY STUFFING — This festive stuffing recipe is loaded with savory ground sausage, fresh apples and dried cranberries. The perfect side dish whether your serving turkey or ham this holiday season.
I always keep a supply of stocks and broths in my pantry, especially during the holidays, when I know there are going to be plenty of side dishes on the menu.
In fact, a recent survey by Swanson® suggests that Americans will make 7 side dishes this holiday season, with nearly 1 in 5 Americans making more than 10 side dishes!
We have a deal at our house. Turkey for Thanksgiving (for me) and ham for Christmas (for my husband). Since stuffing is one of my favorite holiday sides, I had to find a stuffing recipe that would work with ham, and this Apple, Sausage and Cranberry Stuffing is it!
I’ve had people who don’t like stuffing tell me this the best they’ve ever tried!
As with most stuffing recipes, the measurements listed are just guidelines. If you like more sausage, apples, or cranberries, feel free to add them.
Some people like a moist stuffing while others prefer it a bit more dry. Add your chicken or vegetable stock gradually until the stuffing is just the way you like it!
Most stuffing recipes are pretty forgiving, and this one is no exception. You could even omit the sausage for a vegetarian version (with vegetable stock, of course), and it would still be delicious!
Of course, I will always be partial to my grandma’s homemade stuffing recipe, but this version is loaded with so many fall favorites, like apples and cranberries, it comes in a very close second.
Be sure to save this Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
- Dried bread or stuffing mix
- Ground sausage
- Produce: onion, celery, apples, fresh parsley
- Spices: sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper
- Dried cranberries
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 cups cubed, dried bread or stuffing mix
- 1 pound seasoned ground sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 medium apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix dried bread cubes and cornbread in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until done; remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add butter to the skillet to melt. Add onions, chopped celery, sage, rosemary and thyme and sauté for about five minutes.
- Add the butter mixture to the bread mixture, along with the sausage, chopped apples, cranberries and parsley. Add stock gradually until stuffing is as moist as you would like. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into a large casserole dish or 9×13 pan and bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes, or until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 588 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 157mg Sodium: 942mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 24g Protein: 24g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
*I received products from Swanson to review for this post, but all opinions stated are my own.