GERMAN CHOCOLATE FUDGE PIE — A rich, brownie-like pie filling is topped with a traditional German chocolate frosting in this decadent chocolate pie that’s loaded with pecans and coconut.
Oh my! Talk about decadent and delicious. If you love German chocolate cake, you are going to love this German Chocolate Fudge Pie.
This rich, fudge-like pie, is topped with classic homemade coconut pecan frosting, just like a German chocolate cake would be.
Made this pie yesterday, but with dark cocoa and unsweetened coconut. Delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe. It’s better than any German Chocolate cake I ever had. I will definitely make it again for a special occasion. ~ Dana
The chocolate filling is loaded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and pecans, and tastes a lot like a dense, chewy brownie.
And the frosting! It was hard not to eat it all with a spoon. The recipe does make a generous amount of frosting though, so feel free to sample a few bites.
Feel free to use your favorite pie crust recipe, or if you prefer a shortcut, like me, a refrigerated pie crust works just as well.
My family honestly can’t tell the difference between store bought and home-made when it comes to pie crust, so I’d rather focus on creating a delicious filling.
This pie is AMAZING!!!! ~ Aurora
I prefer pecans, but you could also use walnuts in this recipe with great results. This pie is super rich and decadent, so I suggest starting out with a small slice. Going back for seconds is always an option!
If you have a chocolate and coconut lover in your life, I suggest you make them this pie immediately! You’ll have a best friend for life.
Be sure to save this German Chocolate Fudge Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make German Chocolate Fudge Pie
- Pie crust
- Chocolate Chips
- Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Stir in flour, and cocoa until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by stirring together the condensed milk, egg yolks, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, coconut, pecans and a pinch of salt. Cool completely before spreading over pie.
- If desired serve pie topped with chocolate fudge sauce and/or pecan halves for garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 603 Total Fat: 42g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 290mg Carbohydrates: 54g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 33g Protein: 7g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Dark Chocolate Cream Pie
A chocolate cookie crumb crust is loaded with a decadent cream cheese and dark chocolate filling. Serve with fresh fruit or whipped cream for a showstopping dessert everyone will rave about.
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Pie
This decadent chocolate and peanut butter pie features a chocolate crumb crust, a creamy peanut butter cup studded filling, and a chocolate ganache and peanut butter cup topping. The ultimate dessert for peanut butter and chocolate lovers.
Oreo Mint Mousse Pie
Minty chocolate mousse filling in a chocolate crumb crust, topped with whipped cream and crushed Mint OREO cookies.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Pie
Layers of chocolate, banana and fluffy peanut butter filling are served up in a cinnamon graham cracker crust and topped with chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, peanuts and whipped cream in this decadent dessert that's a favorite of peanut butter lovers everywhere!
Frozen Butterfinger Pie
Cream cheese, whipped cream and Butterfinger candy bars come together in a chocolate crumb crust for a cool, creamy frozen pie everyone will love!
Ultimate Candy Bar Pie
With nougat and creamy chocolate layers, and a candy bar crust and topping, this pie really is the ultimate dessert!
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Two in the Kitchen