CHEESY GREEN CHILI RICE — White rice is combined with lots of shredded cheese, sour cream and diced green chilies in this Tex-Mex side dish the whole family will love.
My whole family loves it, and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. Which means I can whip it up at a moment’s notice, and it’s always a hit!
I made it today and it turned out great…..everyone loved it! I’m going to make it again next weekend for another birthday party I’m hosting. Super easy and tasty!!! ~ Vanessa
This rice doesn’t really look like anything special, but it’s full of flavor, and a welcome change from plain old rice.
Plus, this stuff is loaded with cheese and sour cream, so you really can’t go wrong. Unless you’re counting calories. But I live with a bunch of teenage boys, so there isn’t a lot of calorie counting happening at my house.
I usually cook the rice in my rice cooker because it’s so easy, then add the remaining ingredients and bake. But the traditional method of cooking rice will work just as well.
It’s also a great way to use leftover rice. And I always seem to have leftover rice. This recipe turns it into a whole new side dish!
This was an excellent compliment to our simmered salsa chicken and grilled corn. SO easy too! ~ Erika
And this cheesy rice isn’t just great as a side, it’s an amazing filling for burritos and other Mexican dishes–just add a protein and some veggies to the mix and you can create all kinds of meals with this flavorful rice recipe.
This Cheesy Green Chili Rice is one of those tried and true recipes I know I’ll be making for years to come.
Be sure to save this Cheesy Green Chili Rice recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cheesy Green Chili Rice
- Canned green chilies
- Sour cream
- Monterrey Jack or pepper jack cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Spices: cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
Cheesy Green Chili Rice
White rice is combined with lots of shredded cheese, sour cream and diced green chilies in this Tex-Mex side dish the whole family will love.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine rice and remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of the cheddar cheese for topping.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a greased 2 quart baking dish. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the reserved cup of cheddar cheese.
- Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired.
Great recipe, we added black beans and smoked chicken to make it a full meal. ~ Kelly
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home