I always like to have a big bowl of snack mix ready for the holidays. Actually, with teenage boys home on school break, what I make is more like a bucket of snack mix. And this Sweet and Spicy Snack mix is a family favorite.
Do feel free to cut this recipe in half if you aren’t planning to feed a crowd (or three hungry boys).
If you are making a huge batch and you have one of those electric turkey roasters, they’re great for making lots of party mix at once.
We’re big fans of traditional Chex Party Mix, but this sweet and spicy version is another favorite. It’s got all kinds of great ingredients, like Bugles, and Parmesan Goldfish, in addition to the usual Chex cereal, pretzels and nuts.
And it’s covered in a savory coating with a hint of sweetness and a hint of spice. Just be careful, once you get started, it’s hard to stop eating this stuff!
- 6 cups Bugles
- 4 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 4 cups Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 2 cups Parmesan Goldfish crackers
- 2 cup small pretzels
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the Bugles, cereals, Goldfish, pretzels and nuts.
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour syrup mixture over cereal mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes, or until coating is set. Remove from oven and stir again.
- Spread mixture onto waxed paper to cool, then break into pieces. Store in a covered, air-tight container for up to 1 week.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Land O’ Lakes