SWEET AND SALTY SNACK MIX — Cereal squares, pretzels, crackers, nuts and Bugles are coated in a sweet and spicy mix of butter, brown sugar and cayenne in this flavorful snack mix.
I always like to have a big bowl of snack mix ready for the holidays, and this Sweet and Salty Snack mix is a family favorite.
Actually, with teenage boys home on school break, what I make is more like a bucket of snack mix. And it still seems to disappear within days.
Okay, I confess, I probably eat as much of it as they do. It’s just so GOOD, and a little bit addicting. If I’m not careful I can polish off a big bowl of this snack mix without even noticing.
So do feel free to cut this recipe in half if you aren’t planning to feed a crowd–or three hungry boys and their friends.
Or fill some cellophane bags with this snack mix, tie them up with pretty ribbons, and share them with neighbors and co-workers this holiday season!
If you are making a huge batch and you have one of those electric turkey roasters, they’re great for making lots of party mix at once.
We’re big fans of traditional Chex Party Mix, but this sweet and spicy version is a great way to mix things up a little bit.
With brown sugar and a hint of cayenne pepper and chili powder, this snack mix works whether your craving something sweet or something a little spicy.
And it’s got all kinds of great ingredients, like Bugles (my personal favorite), and Parmesan Goldfish, in addition to the usual Chex cereal, pretzels and nuts.
Just be careful, because like I said, once you get started, it’s hard to stop eating this Sweet and Salty Snack Mix!
Be sure to save this Sweet & Salty Snack Mix recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sweet & Salty Snack Mix
- Chex cereal
- Parmesan Goldfish crackers
- Mixed nuts
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup
- Spices: chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt
- Baking soda
- 6 cups Bugles
- 4 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 4 cups Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 2 cups Parmesan Goldfish crackers
- 2 cup small pretzels
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the Bugles, cereals, Goldfish, pretzels and nuts.
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour syrup mixture over cereal mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes, or until coating is set. Remove from oven and stir again.
- Spread mixture onto waxed paper to cool, then break into pieces. Store in a covered, air-tight container for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 655mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 19gProtein: 7g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Land O’ Lakes