CREAMY SLOW COOKER GARLIC CHICKEN — Chicken breasts are slow cooked with garlic cloves, then finished off with a creamy sauce.
We all need some easy slow cooker recipes in our repertoire during the busy holiday season.
Not only is this Creamy Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken elegant enough for a holiday meal itself, but it couldn’t be easier to make! It’s the perfect dinner for a busy time of year.
I finally made this tonight and we loved it! ~ Grace
This is definitely a dish for garlic lovers, which I am. My husband isn’t as much of a fan, but he still thought this was delicious. And you can always cut down on the garlic if you’d like.
Personally I feel like 20 cloves is just right, but to each his own! I actually loved eating the whole cooked garlic cloves in this dish. They were incredibly tender and flavorful kind of melted in your mouth.
Of course, I probably gave off an awesome garlicky aroma for the next few days, but it was totally worth it!
The garlic wasn’t the only thing I loved about this dish. The chicken was fall-apart tender, and the creamy sauce was perfect served over pasta.
Not to mention the fresh thyme, which added such great flavor to everything. I would even go so far as to say this was a dish you could order in a restaurant. It was that good!
I know it’s a bit of extra work to brown the chicken breasts and garlic before you add them to the slow cooker, but it’s not that hard, and it adds so much to both the flavor and appearance of the finished product.
Don’t skip it! You’ll be glad you spent the few extra minutes on that simple step.
Along with a green salad and some crusty bread, this is a wonderful week might meal that will make your family think you spent hours in the kitchen.
Be sure to save this Creamy Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Produce: garlic, fresh thyme, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese
- Heavy cream
Creamy Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken
Chicken breasts are slow cooked with garlic cloves, then finished off with a creamy sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown. Arrange the chicken in single layer in bottom of slow cooker.
- Add garlic cloves to the same skillet, and cook until just golden. Carefully add 1/2 cup of broth to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits from bottom. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour the garlic mixture into the slow cooker. Add the remaining broth and stir gently to combine. Add thyme sprigs. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a plate. Stir the cornstarch mixture, Parmesan cheese and whipping cream into the liquid in slow cooker.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes longer, or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve over cooked pasta and garnish with parsley and additional Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: chicken, garlic
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Betty Crocker