MAKE AHEAD BRAN MUFFINS — Make the batter for these bran muffins and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks! A great way to serve up fresh muffins for breakfast or snacking, any time the craving strikes.
My mom shared this recipe for Make Ahead Bran Muffins with me a while back, and it’s become one of my all-time favorite muffin recipes!
The batter can be made and kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks! Which means you can have freshly baked bran muffins any time!
Besides being convenient, these muffins are absolutely delicious! And the longer the batter sits, the better they get.
I actually recommend making the batter a day before you plan to make your first batch of muffins. But I’ve also baked them right after mixing up the batter and they are still wonderful!
I realize bran muffins aren’t for everyone, but even my 12 year-old son loves these, so even if you’re skeptical, I’d still give them a try! I love having these muffins handy for grab-and-go breakfasts and afternoon snacking.
You are going to need a pretty large bowl for mixing up your batter. This recipe makes enough for 4-5 dozen muffins. But remember, you can make a dozen at a time and have freshly baked muffins every week for a month!
I usually bake two dozen muffins at a time and put one dozen in the freezer. A few weeks later, when those are gone, I bake two dozen more.
Every time I make these muffins, I think of what a great recipe this would be if I owned a bed-and-breakfast. I could just keep this batter in the refrigerator and serve my guests fresh-baked muffins any time!
I find that pecans and walnuts work best in this recipe. And I love the chopped dates, but raisins are a great substitution.
Feel free to change up the mix-ins to suit your tastes. I hope you love these muffins as much as we do!
Be sure to save this Make Ahead Bran Muffins recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Make Ahead Bran Muffins
- Baking soda
- All-bran cereal
- Bran flakes (such as Raisin Bran)
Make Ahead Bran Muffins
Make the batter for these bran muffins and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks! A great way to serve up fresh muffins for breakfast or snacking, any time the craving strikes.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Yield: 4-5 dozen
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups All Bran cereal
- 2 cups bran flakes (such as Raisin Bran)
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 quart buttermilk
- Combine boiling water and baking soda. Cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Set aside.
- In a very large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, All Bran, bran flakes, dates, nuts and buttermilk. Stir in the butter and egg mixture, and then the water and baking soda mixture. Mix until combined.
- Store batter in covered containers in the refrigerator for up to four weeks.
- To make muffins, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with papers, or lightly grease tins.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and done in the center.
If making muffins right away, let batter stand for about 30 minutes before baking.
Keywords: bran, muffins
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like: