BEST BASIC MUFFINS — This plain, basic muffin recipe is just waiting for you to add your favorite mix-ins, like fresh fruit or chocolate chips. And they’re delicious as is too! It’s the only muffin recipe you’ll ever need.
Everyone needs a good basic muffin recipe in their collection. And once you try this recipe for the Best Basic Muffins, you may never need to try another muffin recipe again.
These slightly sweet muffins are perfect for adding almost anything your heart desires. Mini chocolate chips are a favorite at our house, but when I say the possibilities are almost endless, I’m really not exaggerating.
And with a sprinkling of course sugar to add a bit of sparkle, these muffins are simply delicious without anything added at all.
Which is why this is one of the only muffin recipe I ever use, because it’s so easy to turn this muffin recipe into a recipe for whatever kind of muffins I happen to be craving.
I don’t know about you, but I love a muffin with a nice, round top. And not only do these muffins taste perfect, they look practically perfect too.
One important tip when adding fruit to these muffins. You want to toss the fruit into your dry ingredients until it’s nice and coated in your flour and sugar mixture.
This will help ensure all that yummy fruit gets evenly distributed. Rather than sinking to the bottom of your muffins. Because that would be sad.
I always mix fresh fruit into this muffin batter, rather than frozen, since that can make the muffins a little too moist. Dried fruit works well too.
Whether you load them up with your favorite mix-ins, or just leave them plain, you’re going to love this simple, versatile muffin recipe!
Be sure to save this recipe for the Best Basic Muffins to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Best Basic Muffins
- Baking powder
- Vegetable oil
Best Basic Muffins
This plain, basic muffin recipe is just waiting for you to add your favorite mix-ins, like fresh fruit or chocolate chips. And they’re delicious as is too! It’s the only muffin recipe you’ll ever need.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 dozen
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Sparkling sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and lightly spray the liners with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. (If adding fresh fruit, stir it gently into the dry ingredients until well coated).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix gently until just incorporated.
- Fill the muffin cups about two-thirds to three-quarters full. Sprinkle with sparkling white sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Remove from oven to a wire rack. As soon as you can handle the muffins, turn them out of the pan onto the rack to cool completely.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from King Arthur Flour