GARDEN VEGGIE PASTA SALAD — This classic macaroni salad, with a mayonnaise and vinegar based dressing, is loaded with fresh vegetables and herbs. Perfect for summer potlucks and barbecues.
Everyone needs a classic pasta salad recipe in their repertoire, and this Garden Veggie Pasta Salad is my absolute favorite macaroni salad of all time!
It has the classic mayonnaise based dressing, but all of the diced fresh vegetables and herbs give it a unique and delicious flavor that’s a step up from the usual pasta salad.
My husband, who is something of a pasta salad connoisseur, agrees that this garden veggie version is one of the best. Plus, it’s a great way to use up odds and ends of veggies, or a surplus from your garden.
Which makes it the perfect pasta salad to bring along to any neighborhood barbecue or summer time celebration. Just be prepared to get lots of request for the recipe.
The great thing about this salad is that you can totally change up the veggies to use what you have on hand. Any color of bell pepper will work, or you could try a poblano in place of the jalapeno (and no, this salad isn’t spicy–the jalapeno just adds great flavor).
I definitely recommend using some crunchy veggies, like carrots, celery and peppers, but things like cucumber are also a great addition. And feel free to mix up the herbs to suit your tastes as well. Although I really am partial to including at least some fresh dill.
This salad tastes better if you can mix it up the day before, or at least several hours ahead of time. Just make sure you re-season and add some extra mayo before serving. The pasta really soaks everything up, and it can lose some of it’s flavor and moisture as it sits.
If you haven’t found a classic macaroni salad that you love, give this recipe a try. It’s everything a pasta salad is meant to be!
Be sure to save this Garden Veggie Pasta Salad recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Garden Veggie Pasta Salad
- White wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Spices: cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Produce: celery, red pepper, carrots, green onions, jalapeno, fresh parsley, fresh dill
- Elbow macaroni
Garden Veggie Pasta Salad
This classic macaroni salad, with a mayonnaise and vinegar based dressing, is loaded with fresh vegetables and herbs. Perfect for summer potlucks and barbecues.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings
- Category: Salad
- Method: Refrigerated
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 (16 oz.) package uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in celery, bell pepper, carrot, onions, and jalapeno. Refrigerate while you prepare the pasta.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Rinse in a colander under cold water; drain well. Add macaroni to mayonnaise and vegetable mixture and toss to coat well.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or, or overnight. Before serving, taste and adjust seasoning, and add more mayonnaise, as needed.
Keywords: vegetable, pasta, salad
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes