GRILLED SESAME CHICKEN KABOBS — Tender chunks of chicken are grilled on skewers with peppers and pineapple, and basted with a sweet and spicy glaze.
We first started making these Grilled Sesame Chicken Kabobs years ago, when my then 12 year-old saw a similar recipe and requested to help make them for dinner.
He’s 18 now, and these kabobs are still a favorite meal, especially in the summer, so I figured I should share the recipe with you! We still love these as much as the first time we tried them.
First of all, there’s something about a kabob that’s just fun. And with all the wonderful colors and flavors in these kabobs, this is a meal that’s really hard to beat.
Not only does my entire family love this meal, it’s quick and easy to make, and it’s healthy too.
With a side of rice, it’s a complete meal that you can feel good about serving your family any night of the week.
The baste and marinating liquid for these kabobs is a sweet and savory blend of apricot preserves, soy sauce and spices that goes perfectly with both the meat and vegetables.
Don’t worry if you forget to marinade the chicken–even if you miss that step, these kabobs still turn out delicious. Believe me, I speak from experience!
And yes, the glaze is delicious on the pineapple too! I like to finish everything off with a sprinkling of green onions and sesame seeds, for a bit of added color and texture.
You really must try these sesame chicken kabobs as soon as possible. I think you’ll love them as much as we do, and I hope they become a favorite meal at your house too!
Be sure to save this recipe for Grilled Sesame Chicken Kabobs to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Grilling Chicken
Add flavor first: Season your chicken liberally, and well in advance of grilling, whenever possible. Brines, dry rubs and marinades are all great ways to add flavor to grilled chicken.
If you’ll be basting with barbecue sauce, wait until the last few minutes of cooking time so it doesn’t burn.
Prep your grill: Make sure you have enough fuel, then rub some oil onto clean and preheated grates right before cooking so the chicken doesn’t stick.
When is it done? Poultry should be cooked until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Check the temperature by inserting the probe of a thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken, without touching the bone.
If you don’t have a thermometer, cut into the center of the meat. The juices should run clear and the meat should no longer be pink.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Grilled Sesame Chicken Kabobs
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Apricot preserves
- Produce: green onions, garlic, fresh ginger, bell peppers, red onions, fresh pineapple
- Canola oil
- Hot pepper sauce
- Sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the broth, soy sauce, onions, preserves, oil, garlic, ginger, hot pepper sauce and 1-teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Pour 1/3 cup into another bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Drain and discard marinade from chicken.
- On metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread chicken, peppers, onion and pineapple.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 6 minutes, basting with reserved marinade.
- Grill 5-10 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear, turning and basting frequently.
- Sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 216 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 692mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 8g Protein: 28g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Grilled Steak Potato Mushroom Kabobs
Juicy steak, tender potatoes and savory mushrooms are skewered and grilled to perfection!
Savory Grilled Salmon Kabobs
Salmon is skewered with lemon slices, then coated in a savory spice mix and grilled to perfection.
Grilled Tandoori Style Chicken
Chicken is marinated in Greek yogurt and tandoori spices, then skewered and grilled to perfection in this simple, east to make meal.
Balsamic Grilled Mushroom Kabobs with Savory Mayo Dipping Sauce
Fresh mushrooms are marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, then skewered and grilled to perfection and served with a steak sauce infused mayonnaise for dipping.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home’s Celebrations Cookbook.