CREAMY CHILI COLORADO BURRITOS — Traditional chili Colorado gets a creamy twist in this tasty, slow cooked beef burrito recipe.
Mexican food is easily my family’s favorite cuisine, and these Creamy Chili Colorado Burritos are one of our favorite Mexican inspired meals.
First, as a Colorado resident, I feel obliged to share a bit of a history lesson. Chili Colorado is not actually named after the state I live in.
Colorado is Spanish for “colored red.” The name was given to the Colorado river because of the red sandstone soil of that’s prominent here.
But alas, we did not invent these delicious beef burritos.
But obviously, these burritos also get their name from the fact that the beef filling is colored red, thanks to red enchilada sauce. So there you have it!
What’s really important is that these burritos are amazingly delicious. The beef is slow cooked in red enchilada sauce, along with some onions and garlic.
Then it’s shredded and stuffed into tortillas. Meanwhile, all the sauce from the slow cooker is mixed with a little cream and simmered to make an out-of-this world sauce to smother the burritos.
Naturally, it’s all topped off with a generous sprinkling of cheese and baked until everything is melted and bubbly. I like to finish things off with a garnish of fresh chopped cilantro.
If you’re a fan of traditional Chili Colorado (and even if you’re not) I think you’re going to love this variation.
I highly recommend serving them with a side of sour cream, pico de gallo and homemade guacamole. Enjoy!
Be sure to save this recipe for Creamy Chili Colorado Burritos to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Chili Colorado Burritos
- Beef chuck roast
- Red enchilada sauce
- Beef bullion granules
- Produce: onion, garlic, fresh cilantro
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 (10 oz.) cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bullion granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole
- Lightly grease a slow cooker. Cut roast into 3-4 chunks and add to slow cooker, along with enchilada sauce, bullion granules, garlic, and onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove meat from slow cooker, leaving sauce, and shred with two forks. Season beef with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 in baking dish. Spread 1/3 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker in the bottom of the dish.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of sauce from the slow cooker into a medium saucepan. Whisk in cream. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Whisk the flour mixture into the sauce. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer while you prepare the burritos.
- Divide the shredded beef evenly between the tortillas. Roll up and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the burritos. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 566 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 127mg Sodium: 572mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 37g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Mexican Street Corn (Torchy's Copycat)
Grilled corn is tossed with mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and spices in this delicious Tex-Mex side dish (Torchy's Tacos copycat).
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken and Rice
Chicken is slow cooked with beans, corn and southwest seasonings, then combined with cheese, rice and your favorite taco toppings for Tex Mex comfort food the whole family will love.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They'll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!
Copycat Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
This easy to make side dish tastes just like the rice from your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Smothered Chicken Burritos
Slow cooked chicken, rice and cheese, rolled in tortillas then smothered in a creamy green chili sauce and baked.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
This quick and easy Tex Mex chicken dish is a meal the whole family will love!
Learn How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas here!
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe