SLOW COOKER THAI GREEN CURRY — Tender chunks of beef are slow cooked with green curry paste and coconut milk, with plenty of healthy vegetables like spinach and green beans
We love a good curry at my house. Well, all of us except my husband. But even he went back for seconds of this Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry.
In fact, my middle son was helping me photograph this tasty dish and commented on how good it looked, “like on of the most professional looking things I’d made in a long time.”
And yes, he thought it tasted like something he’d order and a restaurant too. So, even loaded with healthy veggies, this green curry was a huge hit with everyone!
Of course, I love that it’s made in a slow cooker, so the meat is nice and tender. Just remember that the vegetables go in towards the very end of the cooking time so they don’t get mushy.
Nobody want mushy vegetables in their curry. I think other green veggies, like asparagus, would also work well in this dish. Really, you could add in all kinds of vegetables, if you didn’t mind not sticking with the color scheme.
We served this over rice noodles, but regular rice would work just as well. And this curry could definitely be served on its own and still be a delicious, hearty meal.
I also think pork or chicken would be great substitutions for the beef, so feel free to experiment with the recipe. Either way, the result will be a flavorful, healthy curry that may even win over your pickiest eaters.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Making Great Curry
Take your time: Good curry doesn’t have to take hours but you do want to allow ingredients such as onions to cook properly for the most flavor.
Seasoning: Don’t be afraid to be generous with your spices. Add a little sugar to tomato based curries to take away the acidity. A pinch of salt can also balance the dish.
If you do go a little overboard with your seasonings, add a squeeze of lemon juice to neutralize the excess.
Garnish: Serve toppings with your curry, like peanuts, golden raisins, green onions, chopped cilantro, coconut or toasted sesame seeds. They can add even more depth of flavor to your curry dish.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry
- Canola oil
- Beef stew meat
- Beef stock
- Green curry paste
- Fish sauce
- Brown sugar
- Produce: onions, green beans, spinach, fresh cilantro, garlic
- Spices: cayenne pepper, curry powder, salt and pepper
- Coconut milk
- Heavy cream
- Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces frozen green beans
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, cooking in 2 batches, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Place browned beef in a lightly greased slow cooker. Add beef stock to skillet and stir with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Transfer stock to the slow cooker.
- Stir in curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, onion, cayenne pepper and curry powder. Cover and cook on low until beef is very tender, about 8 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving, add coconut milk and cream to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add green beans and cook until tender. Just before serving, turn off slow cooker and stir in cilantro and spinach. Stir gently until spinach begins to wilt. Stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve over rice or rice noodles, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 429 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 129mg Sodium: 587mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 41g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Beef Pineapple Curry
Thinly sliced beef with pineapple chunks and red peppers in a creamy, coconut milk based curry.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
This coconut milk based chicken curry simmers all day in the slow cooker for an easy, flavorful dinner. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Slow Cooker Red Curry Meatballs
Beef meatballs are simmered in a red curry coconut sauce and served over rice in this easy slow cooker comfort food meal.
Basil Chicken with Coconut Curry Sauce
Tender chunks of chicken are simmered in a coconut milk based sauce with plenty of basil and Indian spices.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cooking Light