GREEN CHILE CHICKEN POT PIE — A creamy, cheesy green chile and chicken filling is topped off with a delicious biscuit-like topping in this Tex-Mex style comfort food the whole family will love!
If you’re a fan of chicken pot pie, you’re going to love this unique twist on the comfort food classic. I like to think of this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie as pot pie with a Southwest flair.
The filling is made with tender chunks of chicken, green enchilada sauce and green chilies, and plenty of pepper jack cheese–and that’s just for starters
If the filling doesn’t convince you to try this recipe, then let me tell you about the flaky, crumbly, cobbler like topping! It’s pre-baked for about 10 minutes, then crumbled over the filling for a unique and absolutely amazing pot pie topping that everyone loves.
In fact, this topping is so good, I’m considering making it the go-to topping for every pot pie I make from now until forever. It’s definitely the star of this recipe.
And that’s really saying something, because the creamy chicken filling is pretty amazing too!
Unlike other pot pie recipes, the filling in this dish isn’t loaded with lots of vegetables, but you could easily add things like corn, or diced jalapenos or red bell pepper for a more complete meal.
I also like to use the always convenient supermarket rotisserie chicken in this recipe to speed up the prep work, but you can definitely cook and shred your own chicken.
This would also be a great way to use leftover shredded Mexican chicken from tacos or burritos. There are definitely lot’s of ways to adapt this recipe, but believe me when I say it’s pretty much perfect just the way it is.
If you’re looking for a new twist on some classic comfort food, you need to try this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie as soon as possible!
Be sure to save this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Crescent Topped Chicken Pot Pies
Chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, topped with crescent roll dough and baked until golden and bubbly.Get the Recipe
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They'll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!Get the Recipe
Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie with Hashbrown Crust
Hashbrowns replace the usual crust in this twist on classic chicken pot pie!Get the Recipe
White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce
Chicken, green chilies and cheese, rolled in floured tortillas and smothered in a creamy homemade sauce.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Tender chunks of chicken and potato, with peas and carrots, are cooked in a creamy sauce, then topped off with wedges of flaky pie crust in this slow cooker version of classic comfort food.Get the Recipe
Pulled Pork Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
Slow cooked pulled pork is rolled in tortillas with cheese and smothered in a creamy green chile sauce.Get the Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie
- Parmesan cheese
- Baking powder
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Cream of chicken soup
- Green enchilada sauce
- Canned green chilies
- Pepper jack cheese
- Spices: cumin, salt and pepper
For the topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
For the filling:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chilies
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. For topping, whisk together flour, Parmesan cheese and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until just moistened. On a lightly greased baking pan, crumble mixture into 1/2 to1-inch pieces.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir in soup, enchilada sauce, green chiles, chicken, cumin, salt and pepper to taste Stir in half the cheese and the cilantro. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Add crumb topping in an even layer over top.
- Bake, uncovered, until topping is deep golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35-40 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 499 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 112mg Sodium: 825mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 25g
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home