SLOW COOKER SHREDDED BEEF RAGU — Beef roast is slow cooked with vegetables in tomato sauce and beef broth, then served over thick noodles in this savory comfort food dish the whole family will love.
Nothing says comfort food like a hearty, slow cooked meal, and this Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Ragu is a favorite with my hungry boys!
It all starts with a big beef roast (which is always a good place to start when feeding hungry teenagers), that’s slow cooked in a mixture of vegetables, canned tomatoes, beef broth and savory seasonings.
The result is some amazingly tender, melt-in-your mouth shredded beef that’s the perfect accompaniment to hot papparadelle or egg noodles. Really, you could serve this with any pasta, or even over mashed potatoes. Just be sure you choose something hearty as a side!
This Italian-style ragu is such a big hit with my family that it’s become one of my favorite ways to cook those tough cuts of beef, like chuck roast.
Making this dish in the slow cooker means it not only comes out tender and delicious, but it’s so easy to prepare. And although I really do recommend searing your meat first for added flavor, you can skip that step if you’re really in a hurry.
Otherwise, you really can just add the ingredients to your slow cooker and forget about it for eight to ten hours! That’s my kind of dinner prep for sure!
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, they’re perfect for making a savory beef stew with carrots and potatoes, or rolling up in a tortilla with some shredded cheese. Of course, with three growing boys to feed, I don’t see many leftovers around here.
But if you’re looking for a hearty and heartwarming new way to prepare a beef roast, this Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Ragu is the answer. Enjoy!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Ragu recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Ragu
- Beef roast
- Spices: thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Produce: garlic, onion, carrots, celery
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Beef broth
- Papparedelle pasta and Parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1 (3 lb.) beef roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2.5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Papparadelle noodles and grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cut roast into 3-4 chunks and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef a few pieces at a time and sear on all sides. Place beef in lightly greased slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, stir together garlic, onion, celery, carrots, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and sugar. Pour over roast in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until beef is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- About 15 minutes before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Serve shredded beef and sauce over cooked noodles with Parmesan cheese for garnish, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 173 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 841mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Protein: 10g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast with Gravy
Just a few simple ingredients are all you need to make this flavorful, tender pot roast with gravy. The pepperoncini peppers add a unique, amazing flavor!Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Tender shredded beef, slow cooked and served on sub buns with melted cheese and Au Jus for dipping.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry
Tender chunks of beef are slow cooked with green curry paste and coconut milk, with plenty of healthy vegetables like spinach and green beans.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast
Roast beef, mushrooms, carrots and onion, slow cooked in a tomato based sauce with Italian seasonings, then served over noodles.Get the Recipe
Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Slow cooked in a sweet and spicy glaze, this Mongolian beef is better than take-out!Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef for Burritos
Slow cooked shredded beef with diced chilies, taco sauce and spices is perfect for burritos, tacos, enchiladas and more!Get the Recipe
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Recipe Tin Eats