HONEY LIME CHICKEN ENCHILADAS VERDES — Shredded chicken is combined with honey, lime and seasonings, then rolled in flour tortillas and smothered in a creamy chili verde sauce in this crowd pleasing enchilada recipe.
Enchiladas are always a big hit at my house, and these Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas Verdes are a new favorite with my family! In fact, these may just be my new favorite enchiladas of all time!
I love the combination of honey and lime, with loads of fresh cilantro, lots of shredded Monterrey jack cheese, and the creamy chile verde sauce that smothers everything.
My family will choose salsa verde (green salsa) over red salsa any day of the week, which is one of the reasons I think we loved these enchiladas so much.
Combined with a bit of heavy cream and a big handful of fresh cilantro, salsa verde becomes an amazing sauce for enchiladas, and burritos. And it’s the perfect accompaniment to the hint of lime and honey in the enchilada filling.
You can, of course, make these enchiladas with corn instead of flour tortillas, especially if you’re looking for a gluten free option. But everyone in my family prefers flour, so that’s what I use.
And because I love shortcuts in the kitchen, I always use a supermarket rotisserie chicken for my filling. But you can always cook and shred your own chicken too.
If you’re looking for something new and delicious to serve for Cinco de Mayo this year, I highly recommend these Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas Verdes. I was looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch, but my husband and hungry teenagers devoured these in one sitting!
With some Mexican Street Corn, or tortilla chips and guacamole or pico de gallo, you’ll have the makings of a delicious Tex-Mex meal that your family and friends will be raving about long after the fifth of May has passed.
Be sure to save this Potato Chip Crusted Grilled Corn recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
- Salsa verde
- Monterrey jack cheese
- Lime juice
- Spices: garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
- Flour tortillas
For the sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) bottle salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1/2 cup fresh packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the enchiladas
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 cups Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Combine salsa verde, 1/2 cup cilantro and heavy cream in a blender. Pulse until cilantro is well blended. Pour about 1 cup of the sauce into the prepared pan and spread to coat the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, 1 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, honey, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of a tortilla and roll, placing seam side down in the prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 477 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 606mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 29g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They'll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!Get the Recipe
White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce
Chicken, green chilies and cheese, rolled in floured tortillas and smothered in a creamy homemade sauce.Get the Recipe
Copycat Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
This easy to make side dish tastes just like the rice from your favorite Mexican restaurant.Get the Recipe
Creamy Chili Colorado Burritos
Traditional chili Colorado gets a creamy twist in this tasty, slow cooked beef burrito recipe.Get the Recipe
Smothered Chicken Burritos
Slow cooked chicken, rice and cheese, rolled in tortillas then smothered in a creamy green chili sauce and baked.Get the Recipe
Pulled Pork Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
Slow cooked pulled pork is rolled in tortillas with cheese and smothered in a creamy green chile sauce.Get the Recipe
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from The Cafe Sucre Farine