SMOTHERED CHICKEN BURRITOS — Slow cooked chicken, rice and cheese, rolled in tortillas then smothered in a creamy green chili sauce and baked.
Being from Colorado, I love a good burrito. And so do my husband and teenage boys. So it’s a huge understatement to say that we loved these Smothered Chicken Burritos.
First, the Mexican-style chicken is slow cooked all day so it’s tender and juicy.
Then it’s rolled up in big flour tortillas with rice, cheddar cheese, and anything else your heart desires–but I highly recommend the chicken, rice and cheese!
Then everything is baked until golden, then covered with more sauce and cheese for a Tex-Mex style meal that is out of this world.
Besides being delicious, I love that this recipe is so versatile. Want to add beans? Go right ahead! Change up the cheese if you’d like.
And of course you’re free to add any toppings you like.
I’m partial to diced tomato, avocado and some fresh cilantro, but the possibilities are endless.
Of course this meal would be perfect for Cinco de Mayo, but trust me, you’re going to want to make these burritos over and over again, all year long.
Best of all, these burritos are better than any fast food burrito you’ll get anywhere. At least my family thinks so. I hope you enjoy these burritos as much as we do!
Be sure to save this recipe for Smothered Chicken Burritos to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Smothered Chicken Burritos
- Chicken breasts
- Red and green salsas
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper
- Canned chipotles in adobo
- Produce: fresh cilantro, tomatoes, avocado
- Cooked rice
- Cheddar cheese
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
For the burritos
- 1 recipe Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 6-8 burrito size tortillas
- 3-4 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
For the sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup green salsa
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes, avocado, chopped cilantro or other favorite toppings
- Prepare Mexican chicken according to instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add about 1/3 cup rice and 2/3 cup chicken to center of tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese. Tuck in ends and roll up tightly. Place burritos in prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until burritos are just golden. While burritos bake, prepare the sauce.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove burritos from oven and pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
I like to add a little bit of sauce to the inside of each burrito.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 826Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1603mgCarbohydrates: 135gFiber: 12gSugar: 8gProtein: 35g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings